2015 ORS § 830.005¹
Definitions for chapter
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) Board means the State Marine Board.
(2) Boat means every description of watercraft, including a seaplane on the water and not in flight, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water, but does not include boathouses, floating homes, air mattresses, beach and water toys or single inner tubes.
(3) Boating offense means violation of any provision of law that is made a crime or violation under the provisions of this chapter.
(4) In flight means from the moment a seaplane starts its takeoff run until the end of a normal power-off landing run.
(5) Length means the length of a boat measured from end to end over the deck excluding sheer.
(6) Motorboat means any boat propelled in whole or in part by machinery, including boats temporarily equipped with detachable motors.
(7) Navigable waters of the United States means those waters of the United States, including the territorial seas adjacent thereto, the general character of which is navigable, and that, either by themselves or by uniting with other waters, form a continuous waterway on which boats or vessels may navigate or travel between two or more states, or to and from foreign nations.
(8) Operate means to navigate or otherwise use a boat.
(9) Operator of a boat livery means any person who is engaged wholly or in part in the business of chartering or renting boats to other persons.
(10) Passenger means every person on board a boat who is not the master, operator, crew member or other person engaged in any capacity in the business of the boat.
(11) Peace officer includes a member of the Oregon State Police, a sheriff or deputy sheriff, a city police officer, an authorized tribal police officer as defined in ORS 181A.680 (Definitions for ORS 181A.680 to 181A.692), and a police officer commissioned by a university under ORS 352.121 (University police departments and officers) or 353.125 (Creation of police department and commission of police officers).
(12) State waters means those waters entirely within the confines of this state that have not been declared navigable waters of the United States.
(13) Waters of this state means all waters within the territorial limits of this state, the marginal sea adjacent to this state and the high seas when navigated as part of a journey or ride to or from the shore of this state. [Formerly 488.011 [bad link]; 1995 c.655 §1; 1999 c.59 §250; 1999 c.1051 §93; 2011 c.506 §53; 2011 c.644 §§35,57; 2013 c.180 §§59,60; 2015 c.174 §25]