2011 ORS § 818.070¹
Exemptions from administratively imposed weight or size limitations
This section establishes exemptions from ORS 818.060 (Violation of administratively imposed weight or size limits). The exemptions under this section are in addition to any exemptions under ORS 801.026 (General exemptions). Exempt, partially or completely as described, are the following:
(1) Any vehicle on any way, thoroughfare or place owned by a district formed under ORS chapters 545, 547 and 551 or a corporation formed under ORS chapter 554.
(2) A vehicle on any road or thoroughfare or property in private ownership or any road or thoroughfare, other than a state highway or county road, used pursuant to any agreement with any agency of the United States or with a licensee of such agency, or both.
(3) Any vehicle, combination of vehicles, article, machine or other equipment while being used by the federal government, the State of Oregon or any county or incorporated city in the construction, maintenance or repair of public highways and at the immediate location or site of such construction, maintenance or repair.
(4) Vehicles while being used on the roads of a road authority by a mass transit district for the purposes authorized under ORS 267.010 (Definitions for ORS 267.010 to 267.390) to 267.390 (Acceptance of funds from United States), provided the weight or size is approved by the road authority for its roads.
(5) Operations authorized to exceed weight or size limitations by a variance permit issued under ORS 818.200 (Authority to issue variance permits) are subject to the terms of the permit. It shall be a defense to any charge of violation of ORS 818.060 (Violation of administratively imposed weight or size limits) if the person so charged produces a variance permit issued under ORS 818.200 (Authority to issue variance permits) that authorized the operation and that was issued prior to and valid at the time of the offense. [1983 c.338 §513]