2015 ORS § 816.080¹
(1) Taillights shall be mounted on the rear of a vehicle.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, when lighted, taillights shall emit a red light.
(3) When lighted, taillights shall emit a light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(4) Taillights may be constructed so as to include registration plate lights.
(5) Taillights shall be wired so as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary lights are lighted.
(6) Taillights that are required under ORS 816.320 (Lighting equipment required for motor vehicles) and 816.330 (Operation without required lighting equipment) must be mounted, adjusted and aimed in accordance with the standards adopted by the Department of Transportation.
(7) Taillights that are required under ORS 816.320 (Lighting equipment required for motor vehicles) and 816.330 (Operation without required lighting equipment) and any part for such light that tends to change the original design or performance must be of a type that complies with standards adopted by the department under ORS 816.010 (Authority to adopt and enforce standards for lighting equipment).
(8) On a motor vehicle that was manufactured before 1959, the taillight or the taillight assembly, if the taillight is combined with another light, may contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter. [1983 c.338 §458 (5); 1985 c.16 §240 (5); 1985 c.69 §1 (5); 1985 c.71 §4 (5); 1985 c.393 §13 (5); 1985 c.420 §6 (5); 1997 c.492 §1; 2003 c.158 §23]