2015 ORS § 809.720¹
Impoundment for specified offenses
- • grounds
- • notice
- • release
(1) A police officer who has probable cause to believe that a person, at or just prior to the time the police officer stops the person, has committed an offense described in this subsection may, without prior notice, order the vehicle impounded until a person with right to possession of the vehicle complies with the conditions for release or the vehicle is ordered released by a hearings officer. This subsection applies to the following offenses:
(a) Driving while suspended or revoked in violation of ORS 811.175 (Violation driving while suspended or revoked) or 811.182 (Criminal driving while suspended or revoked).
(b) Driving while under the influence of intoxicants in violation of ORS 813.010 (Driving under the influence of intoxicants).
(c) Operating without driving privileges or in violation of license restrictions in violation of ORS 807.010 (Operating vehicle without driving privileges or in violation of license restrictions).
(d) Driving uninsured in violation of ORS 806.010 (Driving uninsured prohibited).
(2) Notice that the vehicle has been impounded shall be given to the same parties, in the same manner and within the same time limits as provided in ORS 819.180 (Notice after taking into custody and towing) for notice after removal of a vehicle.
(3) A vehicle impounded under subsection (1) of this section shall be released to a person entitled to lawful possession upon compliance with the following:
(a) Submission of proof that a person with valid driving privileges will be operating the vehicle;
(b) Submission of proof of compliance with financial responsibility requirements for the vehicle; and
(c) Payment to the police agency of an administrative fee determined by the agency to be sufficient to recover its actual administrative costs for the impoundment.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, a person who holds a security interest in the impounded vehicle may obtain release of the vehicle by paying the administrative fee.
(5) When a person entitled to possession of the impounded vehicle has complied with the requirements of subsection (3) or (4) of this section, the impounding police agency shall authorize the person storing the vehicle to release it upon payment of any towing and storage costs.
(6) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the holder of a towing business certificate issued under ORS 822.205 (Certificate) may foreclose a lien created by ORS 87.152 (Possessory lien for labor or material expended on chattel) for the towing and storage charges incurred in the impoundment of the vehicle, without payment of the administrative fee under subsection (3)(c) of this section.
(7) Nothing in this section or ORS 809.716 (Hearing on impoundment) limits either the authority of a city or county to adopt ordinances dealing with impounding of uninsured vehicles or the contents of such ordinances except that cities and counties shall comply with the notice requirements of subsection (2) of this section and ORS 809.725 (Notice following impoundment under city or county ordinance).
(8) A police agency may not collect its fee under subsection (3)(c) of this section from a holder of a towing business certificate issued under ORS 822.205 (Certificate) unless the holder has first collected payment of any towing and storage charges associated with the impoundment. [1997 c.514 §2; 2001 c.748 §1]