2011 ORS § 807.570¹
Failure to carry or present license
- • penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of failure to carry a license or to present a license to a police officer if the person either:
(a) Drives any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state without a license, driver permit or out-of-state license in the persons possession; or
(b) Does not present and deliver such license or permit to a police officer when requested by the police officer under any of the following circumstances:
(A) Upon being lawfully stopped or detained when driving a vehicle.
(B) When the vehicle that the person was driving is involved in an accident.
(2) This section does not apply to any person expressly exempted under ORS 807.020 (Exemptions from requirement to have Oregon license or permit) from the requirement to have a driver license or driver permit.
(3) Except as provided in ORS 813.110 (Temporary permit upon confiscation of license), it is a defense to any charge under this section that the person so charged produce a license, driver permit or out-of-state license that had been issued to the person and was valid at the time of violation of this section.
(4) A police officer may detain a person arrested or cited for the offense described in this section only for such time as reasonably necessary to investigate and verify the persons identity.
(5) The offense described in this section, failure to carry a license or to present a license to a police officer, is a Class C misdemeanor. [1983 c.338 §339; 1985 c.16 §158; 1987 c.217 §6]