2013 ORS § 757.455¹
Conservation program investment policy
- • application for bondable investments
- • utility rates to include investment costs
(1) It is the policy of the Public Utility Commission of Oregon to encourage financing investments at the lowest possible cost to utility customers, including but not limited to conservation program expenditures.
(2) If the commission decides that a public utility should defer and amortize certain conservation program expenditures, the public utility may apply to the commission for an order designating all or part of the conservation program expenditures as bondable conservation investment, for the purpose of financing or refinancing the designated expenditures under ORS 757.415 (Purposes for which securities and notes may be issued) (1)(f). After notice and an opportunity for a hearing, the commission may approve the application if it finds that the conservation program expenditures included in the application are used, useful and prudent and that financing or refinancing is likely to be more favorable to customers than other reasonably available alternatives. Upon approval, the commission shall issue an order stating the amount of the conservation program expenditures that qualify as bondable conservation investment.
(3) The commission shall set rates to include in revenue requirement recovery of a public utilitys bondable conservation investment, as well as the costs of equity and debt capital associated with it, including, without limitation, the payment of principal, premium, if any, and interest on conservation bonds. Revenues collectible or collected under this subsection shall be known as conservation investment assets. The commission shall not revalue bondable conservation investment for rate-making purposes, determine that revenues required to recover bondable conservation investment and associated equity and debt capital costs are unjust or unreasonable, impair or reduce in any way the value of conservation investment assets, or impair the timing or the amount of revenues arising with respect to conservation investment assets that have been used to secure financing or refinancing under ORS 757.415 (Purposes for which securities and notes may be issued) (1)(f).
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) of this section shall apply to any amounts presently deferred by a utility regardless of whether expended prior to September 9, 1995.
(5) As used in this section, conservation program expenditures includes, without limitation, loans and cash payments made to customers, the costs of conservation measures installed at the expense of the public utility, specific acquisition program development, promotion and labor costs and associated general supervision, rents, leases and overheads. [1995 c.539 §3]