2011 ORS § 748.103¹
As used in this chapter:
(2) Benefit member means an adult member who is designated by the laws or rules of the society to be a benefit member under a benefit contract.
(3) Certificate means the document issued as written evidence of the benefit contract.
(4) Impaired means either:
(a) For a society that does not write variable contracts, whenever its assets are less than its total liabilities; or
(b) For a society that does write variable contracts, whenever its assets are less than its total liabilities, plus the required surplus for a mutual life insurer to write such contracts.
(5) Laws means the societys articles of incorporation, constitution and bylaws, however designated.
(6) Lodge means subordinate member units of the society, known as camps, courts, councils, branches or by any other designation.
(7) Premiums means premiums, rates, dues or other required contributions by whatever name known, which are payable under the certificate.
(8) Rules means all rules, regulations or resolutions adopted by the supreme governing body or board of directors which are intended to have general application to the members of the society.
(9) Society means fraternal benefit society, unless otherwise indicated. [1987 c.490 §2]