2011 ORS § 732.250¹
Continuity of management in event of national emergency
(1) The specific purpose of this section is to facilitate the continued operation of all domestic insurers in the event a national emergency makes it impossible or impracticable for an insurer to conduct its business in strict accordance with applicable provisions of law, its bylaws or its charter.
(2) The board of directors of any domestic insurer may at any time adopt emergency bylaws, subject to repeal or change by action of those having power to adopt regular bylaws for the insurer, which shall be operative during such a national emergency and which may, notwithstanding any different provisions of the regular bylaws, or of the applicable statutes or of the insurers charter, make any provision that may be reasonably necessary for the operation of the insurer during the period of such emergency.
(3) In the event the board of directors of a domestic insurer has not adopted emergency bylaws, the following provisions shall become effective upon the occurrence of such a national emergency:
(a) Three directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at all meetings of the board; and
(b) Any vacancy in the board may be filled by a majority of the remaining directors, though less than a quorum, or by a sole remaining director.
(4) If there are no surviving directors, but at least three vice presidents of the insurer survive, the three vice presidents with the longest term of service shall be the directors and shall possess all of the powers of the previous board of directors and such powers as are granted by this section. By majority vote such emergency board of directors may elect other directors. If there are not at least three surviving vice presidents, the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services shall appoint three persons as directors who shall possess all of the powers of the previous board of directors and such powers as are granted by this section, and these persons by majority vote may elect other directors.
(5) At any time the board of directors of a domestic insurer may, by resolution, provide that in the event of such a national emergency and in the event of the death or incapacity of the president, the secretary or the treasurer of the insurer, such officers or any of them shall be succeeded in the office by the person named or described in a succession list adopted by the board of directors. Such list may be on the basis of named persons or position titles, shall establish the order of priority and may prescribe the conditions under which the powers of the office shall be exercised.
(6) At any time the board of directors of a domestic insurer may, by resolution, provide that in the event of such a national emergency the home office or principal place of business of the insurer shall be at such location as is named or described in the resolution. Such resolution may provide for alternate locations and establish an order of preference. [1967 c.359 §173]
DIRECTORS, OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES