2011 ORS § 731.840¹
Retaliatory or corporate excise tax in lieu of certain taxes
- • certain local taxes prohibited
(1) The retaliatory tax imposed upon a foreign or alien insurer under ORS 731.854 (Retaliatory tax) and 731.859 (Applicability of retaliatory provisions), or the corporate excise tax imposed upon a foreign or alien insurer under ORS chapter 317, is in lieu of all other state taxes upon premiums, taxes upon income, franchise or other taxes measured by income that might otherwise be imposed upon the foreign or alien insurer except the fire insurance premiums tax imposed under ORS 731.820 (Gross premium tax on fire insurance premiums), the tax imposed upon wet marine and transportation insurers under ORS 731.824 (Tax on underwriting profits of wet marine and transportation insurers) and 731.828 (Computation of wet marine and transportation insurance tax), and the assessment imposed under ORS 743.961 (Payment procedures). However, all real and personal property, if any, of the insurer shall be listed, assessed and taxed the same as real and personal property of like character of noninsurers. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to preclude the imposition of the assessments imposed under ORS 656.612 (Assessments for department activities) upon a foreign or alien insurer.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section applies to a reciprocal insurer and its attorney in its capacity as such.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section applies to foreign or alien title insurers and to foreign or alien wet marine and transportation insurers issuing policies and subject to taxes referred to in ORS 731.824 (Tax on underwriting profits of wet marine and transportation insurers) and 731.828 (Computation of wet marine and transportation insurance tax).
(4) The State of Oregon hereby preempts the field of regulating or of imposing excise, privilege, franchise, income, license, permit, registration, and similar taxes, licenses and fees upon insurers and their insurance producers and other representatives as such, and:
(a) No county, city, district, or other political subdivision or agency in this state shall so regulate, or shall levy upon insurers, or upon their insurance producers and representatives as such, any such tax, license or fee; except that whenever a county, city, district or other political subdivision levies or imposes generally on a nondiscriminatory basis throughout the jurisdiction of the taxing authority a payroll, excise or income tax, as otherwise provided by law, such tax may be levied or imposed upon domestic insurers; and
(b) No county, city, district, political subdivision or agency in this state shall require of any insurer, insurance producer or representative, duly authorized or licensed as such under the Insurance Code, any additional authorization, license, or permit of any kind for conducting therein transactions otherwise lawful under the authority or license granted under this code. [1967 c.359 §140; 1969 c.600 §12; 1973 c.515 §1; 1973 c.583 §2; 1995 c.786 §6; 2003 c.364 §78; 2009 c.867 §25]