2015 ORS § 731.804¹
- • rules
- • fees
- • how determined
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, each authorized insurer doing business in this state shall pay assessments that the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services determines are necessary to support the legislatively authorized budget of the Department of Consumer and Business Services with respect to functions of the department under the Insurance Code. The director shall determine the assessments according to one or more percentage rates established by the director by rule. The director shall specify in the rule when assessments shall be made and payments shall be due. The premium-weighted average of the percentage rates may not exceed nine-hundredths of one percent of the gross amount of premiums received by an insurer or the insurers insurance producers from and under the insurers policies covering direct domestic risks, after deducting the amount of return premiums paid and the amount of dividend payments made to policyholders with respect to such policies. In the case of reciprocal insurers, the amount of savings paid or credited to the accounts of subscribers shall be deducted from the gross amount of premiums. In establishing the percentage rate or rates, the director shall use the most recent premium data approved by the director. In establishing the amounts to be collected under this subsection, the director shall take into consideration the expenses of the department for administering the Insurance Code and the fees collected under subsection (2) of this section. When the director establishes two or more percentage rates:
(a) Each rate shall be based on such expenses of the department ascribed by the director to the line of insurance for which the rate is established.
(b) Each rate shall be applied to the gross amount of premium received by an insurer or its insurance producers for the applicable line of insurance as provided in this subsection.
(2) The director may collect fees for specific services provided by the department under the Insurance Code according to a schedule of fees established by the director by rule. The director may collect such fees in advance. In establishing the schedule for fees, the director shall take into consideration the cost of each service for which a fee is imposed.
(3) Establishment and amendment of the schedule of fees under subsection (2) of this section are subject to prior approval of the Oregon Department of Administrative Services and a report to the Emergency Board prior to adopting the fees and shall be within the budget authorized by the Legislative Assembly as that budget may be modified by the Emergency Board.
(4) The director may not collect an assessment under subsection (1) of this section from any of the following persons:
(a) A fraternal benefit society complying with ORS chapter 748.
(b) Any person or class of persons designated by the director by rule.
(5) The director may not collect an assessment under subsection (1) of this section with respect to premiums received from any of the following policies:
(a) Workers compensation insurance policies.
(b) Wet marine and transportation insurance policies.
(c) Any category of policies designated by the director by rule. [1967 c.359 §131; 1971 c.231 §14; 1971 c.425 §7; 1983 c.94 §1; 1985 c.697 §17; 1987 c.373 §81; 1989 c.331 §24; 1989 c.413 §1; 1991 c.371 §1; 1991 c.703 §40; 1991 c.958 §5; 1993 c.265 §5; 2003 c.364 §75; 2005 c.31 §7; 2007 c.560 §1]