2013 ORS § 678.010¹
Definitions for ORS 678.010 to 678.410
(1) Board means the Oregon State Board of Nursing.
(2) Clinical nurse specialist means a licensed registered nurse who has been certified by the board as qualified to practice the expanded clinical specialty nursing role.
(3) Diagnosing in the context of the practice of nursing means identification of and discrimination between physical and psychosocial signs and symptoms essential to effective execution and management of the nursing care.
(4) Human responses means those signs, symptoms and processes which denote the persons interaction with an actual or potential health problem.
(5) Long term care facility means a licensed skilled nursing facility or intermediate care facility as those terms are used in ORS 442.015 (Definitions), an adult foster home as defined in ORS 443.705 (Definitions for ORS 443.705 to 443.825) that has residents over 60 years of age, a residential care facility as defined in ORS 443.400 (Definitions for ORS 443.400 to 443.455) or an assisted living facility.
(6) Nurse practitioner means a registered nurse who has been certified by the board as qualified to practice in an expanded specialty role within the practice of nursing.
(7) Physician means a person licensed to practice under ORS chapter 677.
(8) Practice of nursing means diagnosing and treating human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as identification thereof, health teaching, health counseling and providing care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being and including the performance of such additional services requiring education and training which are recognized by the nursing profession as proper to be performed by nurses licensed under ORS 678.010 (Definitions for ORS 678.010 to 678.410) to 678.410 (Fees) and which are recognized by rules of the board. Practice of nursing includes executing medical orders as prescribed by a physician or dentist but does not include such execution by a member of the immediate family for another member or execution by a person designated by or on behalf of a person requiring care as provided by board rule where the person executing the care is not licensed under ORS 678.010 (Definitions for ORS 678.010 to 678.410) to 678.410 (Fees). The practice of nursing includes providing supervision of nursing assistants.
(9) Practice of practical nursing means the application of knowledge drawn from basic education in the social and physical sciences in planning and giving nursing care and in assisting persons toward achieving of health and well-being.
(10) Practice of registered nursing means the application of knowledge drawn from broad in-depth education in the social and physical sciences in assessing, planning, ordering, giving, delegating, teaching and supervising care which promotes the persons optimum health and independence.
(11) Treating means selection and performance of those therapeutic measures essential to the effective execution and management of the nursing care and execution of the prescribed medical orders. [Amended by 1957 c.316 §2; 1973 c.584 §1; 1975 c.205 §1; 1975 c.659 §1; 1995 c.763 §3; 1997 c.204 §1; 1999 c.498 §4; 2001 c.465 §1]