2013 ORS § 672.060¹
Exceptions to application of ORS 672.002 to 672.325
(1) A registered architect practicing architecture.
(2) A registered environmental health specialist or registered environmental health specialist trainee working under the supervision of a registered environmental health specialist practicing environmental sanitation, or a registered waste water specialist or registered waste water specialist trainee working under the supervision of a registered waste water specialist practicing waste water sanitation.
(3) A person working as an employee or a subordinate of a registered professional engineer if:
(a) The work of the person does not include final engineering designs or decisions;
(b) The work of the person is done under the supervision and control of and is verified by a registered professional engineer; and
(c) The person does not purport to be an engineer or registered professional engineer by any verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, card or title.
(4) A person practicing land surveying under the supervision of a registered professional land surveyor or registered professional engineer. The exemption in this subsection does not allow an engineer to supervise a land surveying activity the engineer could not personally perform under ORS 672.025 (Practice of land surveying without registration prohibited).
(5) An individual, firm, partnership or corporation practicing engineering or land surveying:
(a) On property owned or leased by the individual, firm, partnership or corporation, or on property in which the individual, firm, partnership or corporation has an interest, estate or possessory right; and
(b) That affects exclusively the property or interests of the individual, firm, partnership or corporation, unless the safety or health of the public, including employees and visitors, is involved.
(6) The performance of engineering work by a person, or by full-time employees of the person, provided:
(a) The work is in connection with or incidental to the operations of the person; and
(b) The engineering work is not offered directly to the public.
(7) A person executing engineering work designed by a professional engineer or supervising the construction of engineering work as a foreman or superintendent.
(8) A landowner performing land surveying within the boundaries of the landowners land or the landowners regular employee performing land surveying services as part of the employees official duties within the boundaries of the land of the employer.
(9) An individual, firm, partnership or corporation offering to practice engineering or land surveying if:
(a) The individual, firm, partnership or corporation holds a certificate of registration to engage in the practice of professional engineering or land surveying issued by the proper authority of any other state, a territory or possession of the United States, or a foreign country; and
(b) The offer includes a written statement that the offeror is not registered to practice engineering or land surveying in the State of Oregon, but will comply with ORS 672.002 (Definitions for ORS 672.002 to 672.325) to 672.325 (Civil penalties) by having an individual holding a valid certificate of registration in this state in responsible charge of the work prior to performing any engineering or land surveying work within this state.
(10) A person making plans or specifications for, or supervising the erection, enlargement or alteration of, a building, or an appurtenance thereto, if the building is to be used for a single family residential dwelling or farm building or is a structure used in connection with or auxiliary to a single family residential dwelling or farm building, including but not limited to a three-car garage, barn or shed or a shelter used for the housing of domestic animals or livestock. The exemption in this subsection does not apply to a registered professional engineer.
(11) A person making plans or specifications for, or supervising the erection, enlargement or alteration of, a building, or an appurtenance thereto, if the building has a ground area of 4,000 square feet or less and is not more than 20 feet in height from the top surface of lowest flooring to the highest interior overhead finish of the structure. The exemption in this subsection does not apply to a registered professional engineer.
(12) A construction contractor licensed under ORS chapter 701 that offers services constituting the practice of engineering if:
(a) The services are appurtenant to construction services to be provided by the contractor;
(b) The services constituting the practice of engineering are performed by an engineer or engineers registered under ORS 672.002 (Definitions for ORS 672.002 to 672.325) to 672.325 (Civil penalties); and
(c) The offer by the construction contractor discloses in writing that the contractor is not an engineer and identifies the engineer or engineers that will perform the services constituting the practice of engineering.
(13) A person transcribing existing georeferenced data into a Geographic Information System or Land Information System format by manual or electronic means, and the maintenance of that data, if the data are clearly not intended to indicate the authoritative location of property boundaries, the precise shape or contour of the earth or the precise location of fixed works of humans.
(14) A person carrying out activities under ORS 306.125 (Property tax appraisal program) or 308.245 (Maps). This exemption applies to the transcription of tax maps, zoning maps and other public data records into Geographic Information System or Land Information System formatted cadastre and the maintenance of those cadastre, if:
(a) The data are not modified for other than graphical purposes; and
(b) The data are clearly not intended to authoritatively represent property boundaries.
(15) A person preparing maps or compiling databases depicting the distribution of natural or cultural resources, features or phenomena, if the maps or data are not intended to indicate the authoritative location of property boundaries, the precise shape or contour of the earth or the precise location of fixed works by humans.
(16) A federal agency or its contractors, in the preparation of military maps, quadrangle topographic maps, satellite imagery or other maps or images that do not define real property boundaries.
(17) A federal agency or its contractors, in the preparation or transcription of documents or databases into a Geographical Information System or Land Information System format, including but not limited to the preparation or transcription of federal census and other demographic data.
(18) A law enforcement agency or its contractors, in the preparation of documents or maps for traffic accidents, crime scenes or similar purposes depicting physical features or events or generating or using georeferenced data involving crime statistics or criminal activities.
(19) A peace officer, as defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions), or a fire service professional, as defined in ORS 181.610 (Definitions for ORS 181.610 to 181.712), conducting, reporting on or testifying about or otherwise performing duties regarding an official investigation.
(20) A person creating general maps prepared for private firms or governmental agencies:
(a) For use as guides to motorists, boaters, aviators or pedestrians;
(b) For publication in a gazetteer or an atlas as an educational tool or reference publication;
(c) For use in the curriculum of any course of study;
(d) If produced by any electronic or print media, for use as an illustrative guide to the geographic location of any event; or
(e) If prepared for conversational or illustrative purposes, including but not limited to for use as advertising material or user guides. [Amended by 1971 c.751 §4; 1981 c.143 §4; 1981 c.159 §2; 1983 c.614 §2; 1995 c.572 §22; 1997 c.210 §5; 1999 c.830 §1; 2001 c.362 §2; 2003 c.547 §117; 2005 c.445 §8; 2009 c.259 §6; 2009 c.260 §1]