2011 ORS § 660.010¹
Definitions for ORS 660.002 to 660.210
As used in ORS 660.002 (Declaration of policy) to 660.210 (Tort liability of committees, officers, employees and agents), unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) Apprentice means a worker who is at least 16 years of age, except when a higher minimum age is otherwise required by law, and who is employed to learn an apprenticeable occupation under standards of apprenticeship approved by the State Apprenticeship and Training Council and under an apprenticeship agreement recognized by the council.
(2) Apprenticeable occupation means a skilled trade that:
(a) Is customarily learned in a practical way through a structured, systematic program of on-the-job supervised training;
(b) Is clearly identified and commonly recognized throughout an industry;
(c) Involves manual, mechanical or technical skills and knowledge that require a minimum of 2,000 hours of on-the-job supervised training; and
(d) Requires related instruction to supplement the on-the-job training.
(3) Apprenticeship agreement means a written agreement between an apprentice and either the apprentices program sponsor or the local joint committee acting as the agent for the program sponsor that contains the minimum terms and conditions of the employment and training of the apprentice.
(4) Course of study means a course of study for the instruction of apprentices or trainees established in accordance with ORS 660.157 (Standard courses of study for apprentices and trainees).
(5) District school board includes the boards of community college service districts, education service districts, common school districts and community college districts.
(6) Employer means any person employing the services of an apprentice, regardless of whether the person is a party to an apprenticeship agreement with the apprentice.
(7) Journeyworker means a worker who has attained a level of skill, abilities and competencies recognized within an industry as having mastered the skills and competencies required for the occupation.
(8) Local joint committee includes local joint apprenticeship committees, local joint training committees and trade committees.
(9) Program means the total system of apprenticeship as operated by a particular local joint committee, including the committees registered standards and all other terms and conditions for the qualification, recruitment, selection, employment and training of apprentices in that apprenticeable occupation.
(10) Trainee means a worker who is at least 16 years of age, except when a higher minimum age is otherwise required by law, and who is to receive, in part consideration for services, complete instruction in an occupation that meets all the requirements of an apprenticeable occupation, except that such occupation requires, in the opinion of the council, less than 2,000 but not less than 1,000 hours of on-the-job supervised training.
(11) Training agent means an employer that is registered with a local joint committee and the Apprenticeship and Training Division of the Bureau of Labor and Industries. [Amended by 1957 c.270 §3; 1963 c.151 §4; 1967 c.6 §1; 1971 c.271 §1; 1977 c.490 §2; 1981 c.764 §2; 2007 c.71 §215; 2007 c.620 §2; 2011 c.140 §2]