2015 ORS § 657.065¹
- • governmental service excluded
- • exceptions
(1) Employment does not include service performed in the employ of the United States Government or any instrumentality of the United States, except that if the Congress of the United States permits states to require any instrumentalities of the United States to make payments into an unemployment fund under a state unemployment insurance law, then, to the extent permitted by Congress, and after the date such permission becomes effective, this chapter shall be effective as to such instrumentalities and as to services performed for such instrumentalities in the same manner, to the same extent and on the same terms as to all other employers, employing units, individuals and services. However, if this state is not certified by the Secretary of Labor under section 3304(c) of title 26, United States Code, for any year, then the payments required of such instrumentalities with respect to such year shall be deemed to have been erroneously collected within the meaning of ORS 657.510 (Refunds) and shall be refunded by the Director of the Employment Department from the fund in accordance with ORS 657.510 (Refunds).
(2) Employment does not include services that are performed in the employ of the state, any political subdivision or instrumentality of the state or an Indian tribe:
(a) As an elected public official.
(b) In a position that, under or pursuant to laws of this state or tribal laws, is designated as a policymaking or advisory position the performance of the duties of which ordinarily does not require more than eight hours per week.
(c) As an employee serving on a temporary basis in case of fire, storm, earthquake, flood or similar emergency.
(d) As a member of a legislative body or a member of the judiciary.
(e) By an inmate of a custodial or penal institution when such services are performed for the custodial or penal institution in which the inmate is confined.
(f) As a member of the Oregon Army National Guard or Oregon Air National Guard.
(3) The provisions of ORS 657.425 (Election of coverage for services that do not constitute employment as defined in this chapter) permitting election of coverage for services that do not constitute employment do not apply to services performed as an elected public or tribal official.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 657.025 (Employer), employer means any state government, political subdivision or Indian tribe employing unit. [Amended by 1955 c.655 §4; 1957 c.682 §2; subsection (2) enacted as 1957 c.682 §4; 1959 c.398 §2; 1959 c.665 §1; 1961 c.452 §1; 1969 c.275 §1; 1971 c.463 §9; 1973 c.715 §2; 1975 c.156 §2; 1977 c.446 §3; 2001 c.572 §7]