2011 ORS § 646A.362¹
Exclusion of name from sweepstakes promotion mailing list
- • written request
- • rules
(1) As used in this section:
(a) Exclusion request means a written request to be excluded from a sweepstakes promotion mailing list or to be placed on a list of persons to whom sweepstakes promotions may not be mailed.
(b) Sweepstakes promotion has the meaning given that term in ORS 124.005 (Definitions for ORS 124.005 to 124.040).
(2) Any person who receives a sweepstakes promotion, or a combination of sweepstakes promotions from the same service, in the United States mail, regardless of the identities of the originators of the sweepstakes promotion, may send a written exclusion request to the originator of any sweepstakes promotion.
(3) The exclusion request shall be mailed to the address to which the recipient would have sent a payment for any goods or services promoted in the sweepstakes promotion had the recipient ordered the goods or services instead of mailing an exclusion request.
(4) An originator of a sweepstakes promotion who receives an exclusion request shall exclude the requestors name from the originators sweepstakes promotion mailing list or shall place the requestors name on a list of persons to whom sweepstakes promotions may not be mailed.
(5) The Attorney General shall adopt rules necessary to implement this section.
(6) It is an affirmative defense to a claim or charge of violating subsection (4) of this section that the originator of the sweepstakes promotion had, at the time of the violation, implemented reasonable practices or procedures for preventing a violation. [Formerly 646.879]