2015 ORS § 543.280¹
Fee payments by licensee
(1) Any person who applies to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for a preliminary permit to operate a hydroelectric project shall, at the same time, apply for a state preliminary permit. An applicant for a state preliminary permit for a new hydroelectric project shall submit to the Water Resources Commission a complete copy of any application for the project filed with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission or other federal agency. For preliminary permits, if the copy of the federal application is filed with the commission at the same time it is filed with the federal agency, at the commissions discretion, such copy may fulfill the requirements of ORS 543.210 (Preliminary permits), except for the fee requirement in ORS 543.210 (Preliminary permits) (4).
(2) An applicant for a preliminary permit or license for a project or for a permit to appropriate water for power purposes shall pay to the state a project fee based on the capacity of the project to cover costs of recording, publishing notices, conducting the hearing required by ORS 543.225 (Hearing on application) and making investigations necessary to determine whether a permit should be granted.
(3) The amount of the total project fee required under subsection (2) of this section shall be:
(a) For a project of less than 100 theoretical horsepower, $1,000.
(b) For any project of 100 theoretical horsepower or more, an amount equal to $5,000 plus $1,000 per megawatt for each megawatt of capacity in excess of five megawatts, up to a maximum of $100,000.
(4) Except for projects of less than 100 theoretical horsepower, the project fee required under subsection (2) of this section shall be payable in advance before each of four stages of project review as established by rule by the Water Resources Commission. The payment schedule shall not require the applicant to pay more than $2,500 of the project fee at the first stage of project review or more than 50 percent of the total project fee in the first two stages of the project review. For a project of less than 100 theoretical horsepower, the applicant shall pay 50 percent of the fee at the time of filing the application for a preliminary permit or application for a permit to appropriate water for power purposes and the remaining 50 percent before the commission issues a license or a water right permit. A person may withdraw an application for a hydroelectric project after any stage of project review without further payment of fees under this section.
(5) In addition to the project fee required under subsection (2) of this section, any applicant for a project to be sited at a location where anadromous fish or threatened or endangered species are present shall pay a surcharge of 30 percent of the total project fee. The surcharge shall be collected in conjunction with the project fee at each stage of the project review.
(6) The commission shall provide an applicant a statement itemizing the staff time, resources and costs expended to review the application at each project stage. The statement shall include the costs expended by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Water Resources Department specific to the project. [Amended by 1957 c.581 §1; 1985 c.673 §152; 1991 c.869 §9]