2011 ORS § 539.230¹
Notice of need to file registration statement
- • publication requirements
- • additional methods of providing notice
(1) In order to preserve information relating to claims to undetermined vested rights as described in ORS 539.010 (Protection of water rights vested or initiated prior to February 24, 1909) and federal reserved rights, the Water Resources Director shall prepare a general notice stating the need for any person, corporation or governmental agency claiming an undetermined vested right, federal reserved right or a right derived from such rights to file a registration statement as required under ORS 539.240 (Claim to undetermined right to appropriate surface water). The notice shall outline the process for obtaining a blank registration statement and shall describe the rights that may be claimed under this chapter.
(2) The notice required under subsection (1) of this section shall be published at least two times in one or more newspapers having general circulation in each county in which streams with potentially vested rights or reserved rights that have not been adjudicated under this chapter are located.
(3) In addition to the notice described under subsection (2) of this section, in any rural county in which there is not a newspaper having general circulation, the director shall use additional methods of providing notice of the requirement to file a registration statement. These methods may include but need not be limited to holding public meetings, inserting announcements in trade or organization newsletters, public service announcements on local radio stations and informing the county extension agent of the requirement. [1987 c.541 §4; 1989 c.691 §13; 1991 c.67 §154]