2015 ORS § 478.315¹
Response to fire or public safety incident in Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
- • payment of costs
(1) When a district is located entirely or partly within the boundaries of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area established under 16 U.S.C. 544 et seq., if a fire or other public safety incident occurs on state property within the limits of the district and assistance from the district is requested, the fire-fighting and emergency medical vehicles, apparatus and personnel of the district may, with or without a contract to do so, be used for extinguishing the fire or responding to the public safety incident. The district so responding shall recover from the state agency in possession or control of the property:
(a) The amount due under a contract with the state agency for the services provided by the district; or
(b) If there is no contract, the actual costs incurred by the district in extinguishing the fire or responding to the public safety incident.
(2) When vehicles, apparatus and personnel are used under subsection (1) of this section, the state agency requesting assistance shall be liable and shall pay the amount due under the contract, if any, or the actual costs incurred by the district. A claim for such costs shall not be allowed unless, within 60 days after the costs have been incurred, an itemized statement of the actual costs, certified under oath by the treasurer of the district, and a demand for payment are served by mail or personal service upon the state agency. Such costs shall be payable from moneys made available to the state agency for such purpose.
(3) If any such costs are not paid within 90 days after the itemized statement of actual costs and demand for payment are received by the state agency, the district may bring an action against the state agency for the recovery of such unpaid costs.
(4) As used in this section, state property means any public land or other real property controlled by any agency of the State of Oregon and against which no taxes or assessments for fire protection are levied by a district.
(5) The provisions of this section do not apply to fire incidents involving only forest resources that occur on lands protected under ORS chapter 477. [1989 c.395 §2; 1997 c.274 §39]