2011 ORS § 475.005¹
Definitions for ORS 475.005 to 475.285 and 475.752 to 475.980
As used in ORS 475.005 (Definitions for ORS 475.005 to 475.285 and 475.752 to 475.980) to 475.285 (Short title) and 475.752 (Prohibited acts generally) to 475.980 (Affirmative defense to ORS 475.969, 475.971, 475.975 (1) and 475.976 (1)), unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) Abuse means the repetitive excessive use of a drug short of dependence, without legal or medical supervision, which may have a detrimental effect on the individual or society.
(2) Administer means the direct application of a controlled substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject by:
(a) A practitioner or an authorized agent thereof; or
(b) The patient or research subject at the direction of the practitioner.
(3) Administration means the Drug Enforcement Administration of the United States Department of Justice, or its successor agency.
(4) Agent means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor or dispenser. It does not include a common or contract carrier, public warehouseman or employee of the carrier or warehouseman.
(5) Board means the State Board of Pharmacy.
(6) Controlled substance:
(a) Means a drug or its immediate precursor classified in Schedules I through V under the federal Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 811 to 812, as modified under ORS 475.035 (Authority to control schedule). The use of the term precursor in this paragraph does not control and is not controlled by the use of the term precursor in ORS 475.752 (Prohibited acts generally) to 475.980 (Affirmative defense to ORS 475.969, 475.971, 475.975 (1) and 475.976 (1)).
(b) Does not mean industrial hemp, as defined in ORS 571.300 (Definitions for ORS 571.300 to 571.315), or industrial hemp commodities or products.
(7) Counterfeit substance means a controlled substance or its container or labeling, which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number or device, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, distributor or dispenser other than the person who in fact manufactured, delivered or dispensed the substance.
(8) Deliver or delivery means the actual, constructive or attempted transfer, other than by administering or dispensing, from one person to another of a controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
(9) Device means instruments, apparatus or contrivances, including their components, parts or accessories, intended:
(a) For use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in humans or animals; or
(b) To affect the structure of any function of the body of humans or animals.
(10) Dispense means to deliver a controlled substance to an ultimate user or research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, and includes the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for that delivery.
(11) Dispenser means a practitioner who dispenses.
(12) Distributor means a person who delivers.
(13) Drug means:
(a) Substances recognized as drugs in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them;
(b) Substances intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in humans or animals;
(c) Substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or animals; and
(d) Substances intended for use as a component of any article specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of this subsection; however, the term does not include devices or their components, parts or accessories.
(14) Electronically transmitted or electronic transmission means a communication sent or received through technological apparatuses, including computer terminals or other equipment or mechanisms linked by telephone or microwave relays, or any similar apparatus having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic or similar capabilities.
(15) Manufacture means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation or compounding of a controlled substance:
(a) By a practitioner as an incident to administering or dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of professional practice; or
(b) By a practitioner, or by an authorized agent under the practitioners supervision, for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching or chemical analysis and not for sale.
(a) Except as provided in this subsection, means all parts of the plant Cannabis family Moraceae, whether growing or not; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its resin.
(b) Does not mean the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
(c) Does not mean industrial hemp, as defined in ORS 571.300 (Definitions for ORS 571.300 to 571.315), or industrial hemp commodities or products.
(17) Person includes a government subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust or any other legal entity.
(18) Practitioner means physician, dentist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, certified nurse practitioner, physician assistant or other person licensed, registered or otherwise permitted by law to dispense, conduct research with respect to or to administer a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state but does not include a pharmacist or a pharmacy.
(19) Prescription means a written, oral or electronically transmitted direction, given by a practitioner for the preparation and use of a drug. When the context requires, prescription also means the drug prepared under such written, oral or electronically transmitted direction. Any label affixed to a drug prepared under written, oral or electronically transmitted direction shall prominently display a warning that the removal thereof is prohibited by law.
(20) Production includes the manufacture, planting, cultivation, growing or harvesting of a controlled substance.
(21) Research means an activity conducted by the person registered with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration pursuant to a protocol approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
(22) Ultimate user means a person who lawfully possesses a controlled substance for the use of the person or for the use of a member of the household of the person or for administering to an animal owned by the person or by a member of the household of the person. [1977 c.745 §1; 1979 c.777 §49; 1979 c.785 §5; 1981 c.220 §1; 1981 c.666 §1; 1987 c.657 §8; 1995 c.440 §22; 2001 c.615 §15; 2001 c.623 §3; 2009 c.897 §4]