2011 ORS § 468B.179¹
Ground water management committee
- • appointment
- • duties
(1) Upon the request of a local government, or as required under ORS 468B.177 (Actions of department after declaration of area of ground water concern) or 468B.182 (Alternative appointment of ground water management committee), the Department of Environmental Quality, in consultation with other appropriate state agencies, shall appoint a ground water management committee. The ground water management committee shall be composed of at least seven members representing a balance of interests in the area affected by the declaration.
(2) After a declaration of an area of ground water concern, the ground water management committee shall develop and promote a local action plan for the area of ground water concern. The local action plan shall include but need not be limited to:
(a) Identification of local residential, industrial and agricultural practices that may be contributing to a deterioration of ground water quality in the area;
(b) An evaluation of the threat to ground water from the potential nonpoint sources identified;
(c) Evaluation and recommendations of alternative practices;
(d) Recommendations regarding demonstration projects needed in the area;
(e) Recommendations of public education and research specific to that area that would assist in addressing the issues related to the area of ground water concern; and
(f) Methods of implementing best practicable management practices to improve ground water quality in the area.
(3) The availability of the draft local action plan and announcement of a 30-day public comment period shall be publicized in a newspaper of general circulation in the area designated as an area of ground water concern. Suggestions provided to the ground water management committee during the public comment period shall be considered by the ground water management committee in determining the final action plan.
(4) The ground water management committee may request the department to arrange for technical advice and assistance from appropriate state agencies and higher education institutions.
(5) A ground water management committee preparing or carrying out an action plan in an area of ground water concern or in a ground water management area may apply for a grant under ORS 468B.169 (Requests for funding, advice or assistance for ground water projects) for limited funding for staff or for expenses of the ground water management committee. [Formerly 536.145]
Note: See note under 468B.150 (Definitions for ORS 468B.150 to 468B.190).