2011 ORS § 458.568¹
The Oregon Volunteers Commission for Voluntary Action and Service shall:
(1) Develop programs and provide oversight and administration of programs granted to this state by the Corporation for National and Community Service under the National and Community Service Trust Act of 1993, as amended, (P.L. 103-82).
(2) Prepare state applications to the Corporation for National and Community Service for financial assistance for state-based service programs.
(3) Develop a statewide plan that is designed to meet or exceed the Oregon benchmark on volunteerism.
(4) Develop projects, training methods, curriculum materials and other materials and activities related to state service programs that receive assistance directly from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
(5) To engage citizens in service and to strengthen communities, create statewide access for all Oregon citizens to a variety of volunteer opportunities by:
(a) Evaluating the status of volunteerism in the public, private and nonprofit sectors of this state;
(b) Examining methods to strengthen the capacity of volunteer organizations to support citizen involvement; and
(c) Educating all citizens about the importance of citizen involvement and voluntary action.
(6) Encourage youth and young adults to engage in their communities through voluntary action by:
(a) Assisting efforts to inform young Oregonians about opportunities for involvement in the public, private and nonprofit sectors;
(b) Promoting the value of service learning as an educational strategy in the kindergarten through higher educational systems; and
(c) Collaborating with groups to advocate for youth voice in the public, private and nonprofit governing structures.
(7) Promote recognition of volunteerism and service into the daily operation of public, private and nonprofit sectors throughout the state by:
(a) Promoting a statewide volunteer recognition plan open to all sectors; and
(b) Assisting efforts by Oregon communities to encourage citizen involvement in volunteerism.
(a) Detailing commission activities during the preceding two-year period;
(b) Reviewing and summarizing, to the extent the commission deems relevant, the content of reports accepted by the commission on behalf of the Governor;
(c) Assessing the state of volunteerism in Oregon; and
(d) Containing specific recommendations for any additional legislation the commission deems necessary to carry out the purpose of the Oregon Volunteer and Community Service Act or to improve the effectiveness or efficiency of the commission. [2001 c.848 §2; 2005 c.29 §6; 2007 c.6 §3]
Note: See note under 458.555 (Oregon Volunteers Commission for Voluntary Action and Service).