2011 ORS § 456.080¹
Determination of need for housing authority
(1) The determination whether there is a need for a housing authority to function in a city or county may be made either by election as provided in this section or by the governing body of a city or county on its own motion. The governing body of the city or county shall order the election when a petition is filed as provided in this section.
(2) A petition under this section must state that there is a need for a housing authority to function.
(3) Except as provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition:
(4) Notwithstanding ORS 250.325 (Procedure following filing of initiative petition), a city governing body shall submit the question to the electors without first considering its adoption or rejection.
(5) If ORS 250.155 (Application of ORS 250.165 to 250.235) makes ORS 250.165 (Prospective petition) to 250.235 (Retention of petition materials) inapplicable to a county or if ORS 250.255 (Application of ORS 250.265 to 250.346) makes ORS 250.265 (Prospective petition) to 250.346 (Retention of petition materials) inapplicable to a city, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition under the county or city charter or an ordinance adopted under the county or city charter.
(6) An election under this section shall be conducted under ORS chapters 246 to 260, and:
(a) In the case of a city, must be held on a date specified in ORS 221.230 (Election dates).
(b) In the case of a county, must be held on a date specified in ORS 203.085 (County election dates).
(7) If the electors voting at the election favor the functioning of the housing authority, the governing body shall declare that there is need for such housing authority to function.
(8) The question of need shall not again be submitted at any election within one year immediately following the election at which the question was voted upon. [Amended by 1983 c.350 §275]