2011 ORS § 441.109¹
Duties of ombudsman
  • rules

The office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman shall carry out the following duties:

(1) Investigate and resolve complaints made by or for residents of long term care facilities about administrative actions that may adversely affect their health, safety, welfare or rights, including subpoenaing any person to appear, give sworn testimony or to produce documentary or other evidence that is reasonably material to any matter under investigation.

(2) Undertake, participate in or cooperate with persons and agencies in such conferences, inquiries, meetings or studies as may lead to improvements in the functioning of long term care facilities.

(3) Monitor the development and implementation of federal, state and local laws, regulations and policies that relate to long term care facilities in this state.

(4) Provide information to public agencies about the problems of residents of long term care facilities.

(5) Work closely with cooperative associations and citizen groups in this state.

(6) Widely publicize the Long Term Care Ombudsmans service, purpose and mode of operation.

(7) Collaborate with the Department of Human Services and the Nursing Home Administrators Board to establish a statewide system to collect and analyze information on complaints and conditions in long term care facilities for the purpose of publicizing improvements and resolving significant problems.

(8) Appoint designees to serve as local representatives of the office in various districts of the state and regularly monitor their functions.

(9) Specify qualifications and duties of designees.

(10) Adopt rules necessary for carrying out ORS 441.100 (Definitions) to 441.133 (Effect of ORS 441.100 to 441.153 on right to visitors), after consultation with the committee.

(11) Provide periodically, or at least twice annually, a report to the Governor, department and the Legislative Assembly.

(12) Prepare necessary reports with the assistance of the department. [1981 c.534 §4; 1985 c.153 §3; 2001 c.900 §172; 2009 c.768 §32]