2011 ORS § 431.414¹
District board of health
- • formation
- • composition
- • advisory board
(1) Two or more contiguous counties may combine for the purpose of forming a district health unit when the governing body of each of the counties concerned adopt resolutions signifying their intention to do so.
(2) The governing bodies of the counties forming the district may meet together, elect a chairperson and transact business as a district board of health whenever a majority of the members of the governing bodies from each of the participating counties are present at any meeting.
(3) In lieu of the procedure in subsection (2) of this section, the governing bodies of the counties forming the district may, by a two-thirds vote of the members from each participating county, establish and, except as provided in paragraph (f) of this subsection, appoint a district board of health which shall consist of:
(a) One member from each participating county governing body selected by such body.
(b) One member from a school administrative unit within the district.
(c) One member from the administrative staff of a city within the district.
(d) Two physicians who have been licensed to practice medicine in this state by the Oregon Medical Board and who are residents of the district.
(e) One dentist who has been licensed to practice dentistry in this state by the Oregon Board of Dentistry and who is a resident of the district.
(f) One person who is a resident of the district and who is to be appointed by the members serving under paragraphs (a) to (c) of this subsection.
(4) The term of office of the members referred to in subsection (3)(a) to (f) of this section shall be four years, the terms to expire annually on February 1. The first appointments shall be for terms of one, two, three or four years, as may be designated by two-thirds vote of the members from each participating county.
(5) Whenever a district board of health is created under this section, such board shall be in lieu of the board provided for in ORS 431.410 (Boards of health for counties) or 431.412 (County board of health).
(6) The governing bodies of the counties making up the district may appoint a public health advisory board for terms of four years, the terms to expire annually on February 1. The first appointments shall be for terms of one, two, three or four years as designated by the governing body. The advisory board shall meet regularly to advise the district board of health on matters of public health. The advisory board shall consist of:
(a) Persons licensed by this state as health care practitioners.
(b) Persons who are well informed on public health matters. [Formerly 431.610; 1973 c.829 §21; 1977 c.582 §26; 1987 c.618 §3]