2011 ORS § 421.616¹
When department required to nominate sites for corrections facilities
- • criteria for nominations
- • report required
When directed by executive order of the Governor to initiate the corrections facility siting process established in ORS 421.611 (Findings) to 421.630 (Judicial review), the Department of Corrections shall:
(1) Nominate sites for the construction and operation of additional corrections facilities in this state, based on the criteria adopted by the department pursuant to ORS 421.614 (Corrections facilities), and the following criteria:
(a) The interest demonstrated by local jurisdictions in having a site selected for a corrections facility within their jurisdiction.
(b) The availability or the ability of the local jurisdictions to provide adequate infrastructure to serve the facility.
(c) Natural features that allow design to promote compatibility with surroundings.
(d) The availability of or ability to provide local support facilities.
(e) The cost of developing the proposed facility, including but not limited to:
(A) The cost of land acquisition and construction including the availability of land or facilities owned by the State of Oregon.
(B) The cost of operating the facility.
(f) The location and dispersal of social service residential facilities and other corrections facilities.
(2) Publish an initial report stating the conclusions of the department with regard to each site nominated.
(3) Provide copies of the report to:
(a) Each of the county commissioners in the county where any of the nominated sites are located;
(b) Each of the city council members where that site is located if any one of the sites is in a city;
(c) Governmental agencies that may be called upon to provide services to the facility at any of the sites, including police, fire, water, sewage, roads and public transit; and
(d) Any member of the public who requests a copy and pays a fee as set by the department.
(4) Provide media notice regarding the process and the sites nominated, including but not limited to publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county or counties where the sites are located. [1995 c.745 §4]
Note: See note under 421.611 (Findings).