2013 ORS § 419B.365¹
Permanent guardianship
  • petition
  • when filed
  • procedure

(1) At any time following establishment of jurisdiction and wardship under ORS 419B.100 (Jurisdiction), but prior to filing of a petition under ORS 419B.500 (Termination of parental rights generally), or after dismissal of a petition filed under ORS 419B.500 (Termination of parental rights generally) if it fails to result in termination of the parents rights, a party, or person granted rights of limited participation for the purpose of filing a guardianship petition, may file, and the court may hear, a petition for permanent guardianship. If the Department of Human Services chooses not to participate in a proceeding initiated by an intervenor under ORS 419B.875 (Parties to proceedings), the state is not foreclosed from filing a subsequent action should the intervenors petition be denied.

(2) The grounds for granting a permanent guardianship are the same as those for termination of parental rights.

(3) The court shall grant a permanent guardianship if it finds by clear and convincing evidence that:

(a) The grounds cited in the petition are true; and

(b) It is in the best interest of the ward that the parent never have physical custody of the ward but that other parental rights and duties should not be terminated.

(4) If an Indian child is involved, the permanent guardianship must be in compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act. Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the facts supporting any finding made to establish a permanent guardianship for an Indian child, including the finding that continued custody by the parents or Indian custodian would result in serious emotional or physical harm to the Indian child, must be established beyond a reasonable doubt.

(5) Unless vacated under ORS 419B.368 (Review, modification or vacation of guardianship order), a guardianship established under this section continues as long as the ward is subject to the courts jurisdiction as provided in ORS 419B.328 (Ward of the court). [1997 c.873 §3; 1999 c.59 §119; 1999 c.859 §23; 2003 c.229 §6; 2003 c.396 §63a; 2007 c.333 §1]