2011 ORS § 390.139¹
Oregon Adopt-a-Park Program
- • funding
- • rules
- • agreement with volunteers
(1) The State Parks and Recreation Department shall administer a program designed to allow volunteers to assist in the operation and maintenance of Oregons state parks. The program shall include public informational activities, but shall be directed primarily toward encouraging and facilitating involvement of volunteers in park operation and maintenance, assigning each volunteer to a specific state park. The program shall be called the Oregon Adopt-a-Park Program.
(2) Private landowners with parks adjacent to their property are vital to the success of the Oregon Adopt-a-Park Program. The State Parks and Recreation Department shall ensure that participants in the program comply with requirements to obtain permission from landowners for access across private property if necessary to perform the volunteers duties.
(3) Program funding is an authorized use of the State Parks and Recreation Department Fund under ORS 390.134 (State Parks and Recreation Department Fund).
(4) The State Parks and Recreation Department may adopt any rules necessary for implementation of the Oregon Adopt-a-Park Program.
(5) An agreement entered into between the State Parks and Recreation Department and a volunteer under subsection (1) of this section shall include but need not be limited to:
(a) Identification of the designated state park. The volunteer may request a specific state park the volunteer wishes to adopt, but the assignment shall be at the discretion of the State Parks and Recreation Department. In assigning parks, the department shall coordinate and cooperate with affected federal, state and local management agencies and private landowners.
(b) Specification of the duties of the volunteer.
(c) Specification of the responsibilities of the volunteer. The volunteer shall agree to abide by all rules related to the program that are adopted by the State Parks and Recreation Department.
(d) Specification of the duration of the agreement. The volunteer shall contract to care for the designated state park for one year.
(6) The State Parks and Recreation Department shall create a recognition program to acknowledge the efforts of volunteers, agencies and businesses that participate in the Oregon Adopt-a-Park Program.
(7) The State Parks and Recreation Department may provide trash bags, supplies, equipment and safety information and assistance to the participating volunteers.
(8) As used in this section, volunteer may include an individual, a group of individuals, a volunteer group or service club, or any entity that is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended. [1997 c.718 §2; 1999 c.59 §103; 2003 c.14 §167]