2013 ORS § 383.023¹
Revenue bonds for tollway projects
(1) In accordance with the applicable provisions of ORS chapter 286A, the State Treasurer, at the request of the Department of Transportation, may issue revenue bonds for the purpose of financing a tollway project, provided that such bonds shall never constitute a debt or general obligation of the department or of this state or any of its political subdivisions, but shall be payable solely from the revenues, amounts, funds and accounts described in ORS 383.009 (State Tollway Account) (3).
(2) The proceeds of revenue bonds issued under this section may be used by the department or loaned to a private entity or a unit of government for the purpose of financing any portion of the capital costs related to the construction of a tollway project, including costs of the acquisition of interests in land upon which the tollway project will be constructed, to provide a financial reserve required under any federal funding agreement and for the payment of the costs of issuing the bonds and funding bond reserves.
(3) The bonds authorized by this section may be issued as taxable bonds or as tax-exempt bonds under the income tax laws of the United States.
(4) Notwithstanding the status of the bonds for federal income tax purposes, interest paid to the owners of the bonds shall be exempt from personal income taxes imposed by this state.
(5) When issuing bonds authorized by this section, the department and the State Treasurer may make covenants with bondholders regarding the imposition and regulation of tolls, the making of loans and grants funded from the State Tollway Account, the use of amounts required to be deposited in the State Tollway Account and the issuance of additional bonds. [1995 c.668 §11; 2007 c.783 §177]