2013 ORS § 357.001¹
The State of Oregon recognizes that:
(1) An informed citizenry is indispensable to the proper functioning of a democratic society.
(2) Libraries constitute a cultural, informational and educational resource essential to the people of this state.
(3) Library services should be available widely throughout the state to bring within convenient reach of the people appropriate opportunities for reading, study and free inquiry.
(4) Providing and supporting adequate library services is a proper and necessary function of government at all levels.
(5) It is a basic right of citizens to know about the activities of their government, to benefit from the information developed at public expense and to have permanent access to the information published by state agencies. [1975 c.476 §2; 1995 c.69 §1; 2005 c.33 §1]