2015 ORS § 353.050¹
Powers and duties of board and university officials
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the Oregon Health and Science University Board of Directors, or university officials acting under the authority of the board, shall exercise all the powers of the Oregon Health and Science University and shall govern the university. In carrying out its powers, rights and privileges, the university shall be a governmental entity performing governmental functions and exercising governmental powers. The university or the board may either within or outside the state:
(1) Determine or approve policies for the organization, administration and development of the university.
(2) Appoint and employ any instructional, administrative, professional, trade, occupational and other personnel as are necessary or appropriate to carry out the missions of the university, and prescribe their compensation and terms of office or employment.
(3) Make any and all contracts and agreements, enter into any partnership, joint venture or other business arrangement, create and participate fully in the operation of any business structure, including but not limited to the development of business structures for health care delivery systems and networks with any public or private government, nonprofit or for-profit person or entity that in the judgment of the university or the board is necessary or appropriate to carry out the universitys missions and goals.
(4) Acquire, purchase, receive, hold, control, convey, sell, manage, operate, lease, license, lend, invest, improve, develop, use, dispose of and hold title to real and personal property of any nature, including intellectual property, in its own name.
(5) Sue in its own name and be sued, plead and be impleaded in all actions, suits or proceedings in any forum brought by or against it by any and all private or state, local, federal or other public entities, agencies or persons.
(6) Encourage gifts and donations for the benefit of the university, and subject to the terms of the gift, retain, invest and use such gifts as deemed appropriate by the university or the board.
(7) Acquire, receive, hold, keep, pledge, control, convey, manage, use, lend, expend and invest all funds, appropriations, gifts, bequests, stock and revenue from any source to the university.
(8) Borrow money for the needs of the university, in such amounts and for such time and upon such terms as may be determined by the university or the board.
(9) Erect, construct, improve, develop, repair, maintain, equip, furnish, lease, lend, convey, sell, manage, operate, use, dispose of and hold title to buildings, structures and lands for the university.
(10) Purchase any and all insurance, operate a self-insurance program or otherwise arrange for the equivalent of insurance coverage of any nature and the indemnity and defense of its officers, agents and employees or other persons designated by the university to carry out or further the missions of the university.
(11) Create, develop, supervise, control and adopt academic programs, including standards, qualifications, policies or practices relating to admissions, curriculum, academic advancement, grading policy, student conduct, credits and scholarships and the granting of academic degrees, certificates and other forms of recognition.
(12) Authorize, create, eliminate, establish, operate, reorganize, reduce or expand any program, school, institute, health care facility or other unit of operation.
(13) Establish, charge, collect and use charges for enrollment into the university, including charges such as tuition for education and general services, incidental fees and such other charges found by the university to be necessary to carry out its educational programs. Fees realized in excess of amounts allocated and exceeding required reserves shall be considered surplus incidental fees and shall be allocated for programs under the control of the board and found to be advantageous to the cultural or physical development of students of the university upon the recommendation of the recognized student government of the university.
(14) Establish, charge, collect and use charges and fees for university services and the use of university facilities.
(15) Impose charges, fines, fees and such other regulations considered convenient or necessary to control and regulate traffic and parking of vehicles to the same extent allowed governing boards of public universities listed in ORS 352.002 (Public universities). This authority includes the authority to enforce the regulations of the university in a court to the extent allowed the governing board of a public university listed in ORS 352.002 (Public universities) in ORS 352.118 (Establishment of police department).
(16) Enforce and recover for payment to the university any fines that are authorized by this chapter.
(17) Adopt, amend or repeal bylaws, administrative rules, regulations and orders applicable to the matters that are the subject of this chapter.
(18) Contract with any state agency for the performance of such duties, functions and powers as is appropriate. A state agency shall not charge the university for such services an amount that is greater than the actual cost of the services.
(19) Purchase, receive, subscribe for or otherwise acquire, own, hold, vote, use, sell, mortgage, lend, pledge, invest in or otherwise dispose of and deal in or with the shares, stock or other equity or interests in or obligations of any other entity. Separate funds may be established for such investments. The State of Oregon shall have no proprietary or other interest in such investments or such funds.
(20) Make available, by lease or otherwise, or control access to any health care facilities or services or other of its properties and assets to such persons, firms, partnerships, associations or corporations and on such terms as considered appropriate, charge and collect rent or other fees or charges therefor and terminate or deny any such access or any such lease or other agreement for such reasons as considered appropriate and as may be consistent with its obligations under any such lease or other agreement.
(21) Contract for the operation of any department, section, equipment or holdings of the university and enter into any agreements with any person, firm or corporation for the management by said person, firm or corporation on behalf of the university of any of its properties or for the more efficient or economical performance of clerical, accounting, administrative and other functions relating to its health care facilities.
(22) Select and appoint faculty as medical and dental staff members and others licensed to practice the healing arts, delineate and define the privileges granted each such individual, adopt and direct a plan for faculty clinical income and set the terms and conditions of that plan (including such modifications to any such existing plan as considered necessary or appropriate upon expiration of the term of such plan), and determine the extent to which and the terms upon which each such individual may provide teaching, research, consulting or other services at the university or any other health care facility.
(23) Enter into affiliation, cooperation, territorial, management or other similar agreements with other public or private universities or health care providers for the sharing, division, allocation or furnishing of services on an exclusive or a nonexclusive basis, referral of patients, management of facilities, formation of health care delivery systems and other similar activities.
(24) Perform any other acts that in the judgment of the board or university are requisite, necessary or appropriate in accomplishing the purposes described in or carrying out the powers granted by this chapter.
(25) Exercise these powers, notwithstanding that as a consequence of the exercise of such powers, the university engages in activities that might otherwise be deemed anticompetitive within the contemplation of state or federal antitrust laws. [1995 c.162 §8; 1997 c.853 §38; 1999 c.291 §4; 2009 c.895 §1; 2013 c.180 §61; 2015 c.767 §164]