2013 ORS § 343.159¹
Requirements for written notice to parents of child with disability
- • contents of notice
- • language or mode of communication of parent
(1) A school district shall give written notice to the parents of a child with a disability a reasonable time before the school district:
(a) Proposes to initiate or change the identification, evaluation or educational placement of the child or the provision of a free appropriate public education to the child; or
(b) Refuses to initiate or change the identification, evaluation or educational placement of the child or the provision of a free appropriate public education to the child.
(2) The written notice must comply with the rules prescribed by the State Board of Education.
(3) The written notice required under subsection (1) of this section shall be:
(a) Written in language understandable to the general public; and
(b) Provided in the native language of the parent or other mode of communication used by the parent, unless it is clearly not feasible to do so.
(4) If the native language or other mode of communication of the parent is not a written language, the school district shall take steps to ensure:
(a) That the notice is translated orally or by other means to the parent in the parents native language or other mode of communication;
(b) That the parent understands the content of the notice; and
(c) That there is written evidence that the requirements of this subsection have been met. [1999 c.989 §15]