2011 ORS § 342.120¹
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) Administrator includes but is not limited to all superintendents, assistant superintendents and principals in the public schools or education service districts.
(2) Approved teacher education institution is one which meets the standards of the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for preparation of teachers for preprimary programs and grades 1 through 12.
(3) Approved teacher education program is one offered by an approved teacher education institution and is so recognized by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission, after considering recommendations of the State Board of Education.
(4) Commission means the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
(5) Educational assistant means a classified school employee who does not require a license to teach, who is employed by a school district or education service district and whose assignment consists of and is limited to assisting a licensed teacher in accordance with rules established by the State Board of Education.
(6) Instruction includes direction of learning in class, in small groups, in individual situations, in the library and in guidance and counseling, but does not include the provision of related services, as defined in ORS 343.035 (Definitions), to a child identified as a child with a disability pursuant to ORS 343.146 (Determination of eligibility for special education services) to 343.183 (Effect of school district failure to comply) when provided in accordance with ORS 343.221 (Special education required).
(7) Intern teacher means a regularly enrolled student of an approved teacher education institution who teaches under the supervision of the staff of the institution and of the employing school district in order to acquire practical experience in teaching and for which the student receives both academic credit from the institution and financial compensation from the school district or education service district.
(8) State board means the State Board of Education.
(9) Teacher includes all licensed employees in the public schools or employed by an education service district who have direct responsibility for instruction, coordination of educational programs or supervision or evaluation of teachers and who are compensated for their services from public funds. Teacher does not include a school nurse as defined in ORS 342.455 (Definition of school nurse).
(10) Teaching license means a license issued under ORS 342.125 (Types of licenses) or 342.144 (American Indian languages teaching license).
(11) Underrepresented person means:
(a) A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa, but who is not Hispanic;
(b) A person of Hispanic culture or origin;
(c) A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the Pacific Islands; or
(d) An American Indian or Alaskan Native having origins in any of the original peoples of North America. [1961 c.439 §1; 1965 c.100 §348; 1965 c.550 §1; 1973 c.270 §2; 1975 c.278 §1; 1981 c.393 §1; 1981 c.469 §5; 1989 c.125 §1; 1993 c.45 §149; 2001 c.653 §4; 2007 c.70 §100; 2011 c.609 §4]