2013 ORS § 335.505¹
Transformation of union high school district into common school district
- • continued existence of part of split district
- • effect on employees
(1) Notwithstanding any other statute, whenever kindergarten and grades 1 through 12 of the common schools within the union high school district come under the jurisdiction of the union high school board or whenever as a result of merger or boundary change the area within the boundaries of the union high school district becomes a single component school district having boundaries coterminous with the union high school district, the union high school district and its component districts other than split districts are to be considered merged and the area within the boundaries of the union high school district, excluding that part of any split school district that is within the boundaries, becomes a common school district responsible for educating children in kindergarten and grades 1 through 12 and all territory therein is withdrawn from any other type of school district except the education service district or the community college district of which it may have been a part.
(2) The union high school board shall continue as the board of the district. If the board is increased to seven members as part of the vote to lengthen the course of study or the merger proposal, the board shall appoint the two additional members in the manner prescribed for filling vacancies under ORS 332.030 (Vacancy in office of director) (4), except that the board shall establish by lot the terms of office of the appointed members at less than an initial four-year term.
(3) The terms of all board members in all component school districts other than split school districts shall terminate at the time the union high school board becomes the district school board.
(4) All property and obligations of the component school districts other than split school districts shall become the property and obligations of the new common school district except to the extent that it was otherwise provided when such district is formed by merger.
(5) Whenever at the time a new common school district is formed as provided in subsection (1) of this section, if any component school district is a split school district, such district shall continue to exist and shall become responsible for education in kindergarten and grades 1 through 12 for students resident in the split district.
(6) No school district employee shall be deprived of seniority or accumulated sick leave solely because the duties of the employee have been assumed or acquired by another school district as a result of lengthening the course of study.
(7) As used in this section, property and obligations includes all contractual obligations, employment and service contracts, collective bargaining agreements and district assets and liabilities. [Amended by 1965 c.100 §220; 1967 c.106 §3; 1975 c.770 §46; 1983 c.350 §192; 1987 c.195 §1; 1993 c.45 §71; 1993 c.329 §8; 1995 c.258 §9]