2015 ORS § 335.495¹
Election to lengthen course
- • ballot title if single district would result
(1) Any union high school board may, or shall upon petition of 100 electors of the district, submit to the electors of the district the question of lengthening the course of study in the district. The petition is subject to ORS 332.118 (Election laws applicable). The election shall be held at the next date under ORS 255.345 (Special election dates) by which the requirements for the election can be met.
(2) ORS chapter 255 governs the conduct of an election under this section. If a union high school district contains a split district, the electors from the split district shall not participate in an election under this section.
(3) If the result of the election to lengthen the course of study includes all grades within one single district, the ballot title must include a statement that the effect of an affirmative vote is that the component common and union high school districts shall be merged and only one common school district shall operate in the area in which the election is held. The ballot title must also list all affected school districts by name and district number, and specify which of those districts will be merged pursuant to ORS 335.505 (Transformation of union high school district into common school district) if the measure is approved. The listing of affected school districts by name and district number shall not be considered part of the ballot title for the purpose of determining the number of words permitted under ORS 250.035 (Form of ballot titles for state and local measures).
(4) The union high school board may submit to the electors of the district the question of distribution of existing bonded debt. [Amended by 1957 c.310 §24; 1965 c.100 §217; 1967 c.106 §2; 1979 c.131 §1; 1983 c.83 §70; 1983 c.284 §13; 1983 c.350 §190; 1987 c.195 §3; 1993 c.136 §5; 1993 c.329 §6]