2015 ORS § 327.348¹
High Cost Disabilities Account
- • grants
- • approved costs
- • rules
(1) There is established within the State School Fund a High Cost Disabilities Account.
(2) Each fiscal year, the Department of Education shall distribute moneys from the account to school districts as high cost disabilities grants. A school district may receive moneys from the account if the school district has a resident pupil with a disability for whom the approved costs to the school district of providing special education and related services, as determined under subsection (4) of this section, exceed $30,000.
(3) The amount of moneys received by a school district under this section for each resident pupil with a disability shall equal the approved costs, as determined under subsection (4) of this section, incurred by the school district in providing special education and related services to the pupil minus $30,000.
(4) The department shall determine the approved costs incurred by a school district in providing special education and related services to a pupil with a disability. The approved costs incurred by a school district may include costs incurred by an education service district of providing special education and related services to the school district through the resolution process described in ORS 334.175 (Core services). In determining the approved costs for which a school district may receive moneys under this section, the department shall consider:
(a) How efficiently the special education and related services are provided by the school district; and
(b) The use of available resources by the school district.
(5) If the total approved costs for which school districts are seeking moneys from the account exceed the amount in the account in any fiscal year, the department shall prorate the amount of moneys available for distribution in the account among those school districts that are eligible for moneys from the account.
(6) The department shall distribute any moneys in the account that are not distributed under this section in any fiscal year to school districts based on ORS 327.008 (State School Fund) and 327.013 (State School Fund distribution computations for school districts).
(7) The State Board of Education may adopt any rules necessary for the administration of this section. [2005 c.803 §2; 2007 c.70 §93]
Note: Sections 1 and 3, chapter 54, Oregon Laws 2010, provide:
Sec. 1. Resources and services for which a school district receives moneys from the Blind and Visually Impaired Student Fund established by ORS 346.315 (Blind and Visually Impaired Student Fund) for students described in section 3 (1), chapter 562, Oregon Laws 2009, are considered approved costs for the purpose of determining whether a school district qualifies to receive a high cost disabilities grant from the High Cost Disabilities Account established by ORS 327.348 (High Cost Disabilities Account). [2010 c.54 §1]
Sec. 3. Section 1 of this 2010 Act is repealed on June 30, 2020. [2010 c.54 §3]
Note: Sections 1 to 3, 19 and 20, chapter 735, Oregon Laws 2013, provide:
Sec. 1. Definitions for sections 1 and 2, chapter 735, Oregon Laws 2013. As used in this section and section 2 of this 2013 Act:
(1)(a) Small high school means a public school that is operated by a small school district and that has students in:
(A) Grades 9 through 12, with an ADM of less than 350 in grades 9 through 12; or
(B) Grades 10 through 12 only, with an ADM of less than 267.
(b) Small high school does not include an alternative education program or a public charter school.
(2) Small school district means a school district with a weighted average daily membership (ADMw) of less than 8,500. [2013 c.735 §1]
Sec. 2. Small school district grants; rules. (1) In addition to those moneys distributed through the State School Fund, the Department of Education shall award grants to small school districts with one or more small high schools from moneys appropriated to the department from the Small School District Supplement Fund.
(2) The amount of each grant = the small high schools ADM (the total amount available for the grants in each fiscal year the total ADM of all small high schools).
(3) A small school district shall receive a grant under this section for each small high school operated by the school district.
(4) The State Board of Education shall adopt any rules necessary for the administration of this section. [2013 c.735 §2]
Sec. 3. Small School District Supplement Fund. (1) There is established the Small School District Supplement Fund, separate and distinct from the General Fund.
(2) The moneys in the Small School District Supplement Fund are appropriated continuously to the Department of Education for purposes of the grant program created by section 2 of this 2013 Act. [2013 c.735 §3]
Sec. 19. Repeal. Sections 1, 2 and 3 of this 2013 Act are repealed. [2013 c.735 §19]
Sec. 20. Operative date. The amendments to ORS 327.006 (Definitions for State School Fund distributions), 327.008 (State School Fund), 327.019 (State School Fund distribution computations for education service districts), 327.125 (Superintendent to administer statutes related to state financing of education), 327.137 (Audit reports filed with department), 339.129 (Education for children in local or regional correctional facilities required) and 340.045 (Calculation of State School Fund grant) by sections 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, 16 and 18, chapter 735, Oregon Laws 2013, and the repeal of sections 1, 2 and 3, chapter 735, Oregon Laws 2013, by section 19, chapter 735, Oregon Laws 2013, become operative on July 1, 2020. [2013 c.735 §20; 2015 c.299 §1]