2011 ORS § 327.348¹
High Cost Disabilities Account
- • grants
- • approved costs
- • rules
(1) There is established within the State School Fund a High Cost Disabilities Account.
(2) Each fiscal year, the Department of Education shall distribute moneys from the account to school districts as high cost disabilities grants. A school district may receive moneys from the account if the school district has a resident pupil with a disability for whom the approved costs to the school district of providing special education and related services, as determined under subsection (4) of this section, exceed $30,000.
(3) The amount of moneys received by a school district under this section for each resident pupil with a disability shall equal the approved costs, as determined under subsection (4) of this section, incurred by the school district in providing special education and related services to the pupil minus $30,000.
(4) The department shall determine the approved costs incurred by a school district in providing special education and related services to a pupil with a disability. The approved costs incurred by a school district may include costs incurred by an education service district of providing special education and related services to the school district through the resolution process described in ORS 334.175 (Core services). In determining the approved costs for which a school district may receive moneys under this section, the department shall consider:
(a) How efficiently the special education and related services are provided by the school district; and
(b) The use of available resources by the school district.
(5) If the total approved costs for which school districts are seeking moneys from the account exceed the amount in the account in any fiscal year, the department shall prorate the amount of moneys available for distribution in the account among those school districts that are eligible for moneys from the account.
(6) The department shall distribute any moneys in the account that are not distributed under this section in any fiscal year to school districts based on ORS 327.008 (State School Fund) and 327.013 (State School Fund distribution computations for school districts).
(7) The State Board of Education may adopt any rules necessary for the administration of this section. [2005 c.803 §2; 2007 c.70 §93]
Note: Sections 1 and 3, chapter 54, Oregon Laws 2010, provide:
Sec. 1. Resources and services for which a school district receives moneys from the Blind and Visually Impaired Student Fund established by ORS 346.315 (Blind and Visually Impaired Student Fund) for students described in section 3 (1), chapter 562, Oregon Laws 2009, are considered approved costs for the purpose of determining whether a school district qualifies to receive a high cost disabilities grant from the High Cost Disabilities Account established by ORS 327.348 (High Cost Disabilities Account). [2010 c.54 §1]
Sec. 3. Section 1 of this 2010 Act is repealed on June 30, 2020. [2010 c.54 §3]