2013 ORS § 319.730¹
Collection of delinquent payment by seizure and sale of motor vehicle
(1) Whenever any user is delinquent in the payment of any obligation imposed under ORS 319.510 (Short title) to 319.880 (Disposition of moneys), the Department of Transportation may proceed to collect the amount due from the user in the manner prescribed in this section.
(2) The department shall seize any motor vehicle subject to the lien provided for by ORS 319.700 (Tax as lien) and thereafter sell it at public auction to pay such obligation and any and all costs that may have been incurred on account of the seizure and sale.
(3) Notice of the intended sale and the time and place thereof shall be given to the delinquent user and to all persons appearing of record to have an interest in the motor vehicle. The notice shall be given in writing at least 10 days before the date set for the sale by enclosing it in an envelope addressed to the user at the address as it appears in the records of the department and, in the case of any person appearing of record to have an interest in the motor vehicle, addressed to the person at the last-known residence or place of business, and depositing the envelope in the United States mail, postage prepaid. In addition, the notice shall be published at least three times, the first of which shall be not less than 10 days before the date set for the sale, in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county in which the motor vehicle seized is to be sold. If there is no newspaper of general circulation in the county, the notice shall be posted in three public places in the county for such period of 10 days.
(4) The notice shall contain a description of the motor vehicle to be sold, together with a statement of the amount due under ORS 319.510 (Short title) to 319.880 (Disposition of moneys), the name of the user and the further statement that unless such amount is paid before the time fixed in the notice the motor vehicle will be sold in accordance with law and such notice.
(5) The department shall then proceed to sell the motor vehicle in accordance with the law and the notice, and shall deliver to the purchaser a bill of sale which shall vest title in the purchaser. If upon any such sale the moneys received exceed the amount due to the state under ORS 319.510 (Short title) to 319.880 (Disposition of moneys) from the delinquent user, the excess shall be returned to the user and the receipt obtained therefor. If any person having an interest in or lien upon the motor vehicle has filed with the department prior to the sale notice of such interest or lien, the department shall withhold payment of any such excess to the user pending a determination of the rights of the respective parties thereto by a court of competent jurisdiction. If for any reason the receipt of the user shall not be available, the department shall deposit the excess with the State Treasurer as trustee for the user or for the heirs, successors or assigns of the user. [Amended by 1999 c.59 §79]