2011 ORS § 310.155¹
Public school system limit
- • definitions
(1) For purposes of ORS 310.150 (Segregation into categories), taxes are levied or imposed to fund the public school system if the taxes will be used exclusively for educational services, including support services, provided by any unit of government, at any level from prekindergarten through post-graduate training.
(2) Taxes on property levied or imposed by a unit of government whose principal function is to provide educational services shall be considered to be dedicated to fund the public school system unless the sole purpose of a particular, voter approved levy is for other than educational services or support services as defined in this section.
(3) Taxes on property levied or imposed by a unit of government whose principal function is to perform government operations other than educational services shall be considered to be dedicated to fund the public school system only if the sole purpose of a particular, voter approved levy is for educational services or support services as defined in this section.
(4) As used in this section, educational services includes:
(a) Establishment and maintenance of preschools, kindergartens, elementary schools, high schools, community colleges and the public universities listed in ORS 352.002 (Oregon University System).
(b) Establishment and maintenance of career schools, adult education programs, evening school programs and schools or facilities for persons with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.
(5) As used in this section, support services includes clerical, administrative, professional and managerial services, property maintenance, transportation, counseling, training and other services customarily performed in connection with the delivery of educational services.
(6) Educational services does not include community recreation programs, civic activities, public libraries, programs for custody or care of children or community welfare activities if those programs or activities are provided to the general public and not for the benefit of students or other participants in the programs and activities described in subsection (4) of this section. [1991 c.459 §214; 1995 c.343 §27; 1997 c.541 §264; 2007 c.70 §76; 2011 c.637 §101]