2011 ORS § 292.230¹
Policy on out-of-state travel
- • guidelines
- • use of travel awards
- • rules
(1) It is the policy of the state that all out-of-state travel by state agency personnel shall be allowed only when the travel is essential to the normal discharge of the agencys responsibilities. Out-of-state travel shall be conducted in the most efficient and cost-effective manner resulting in the best value to the state. The travel must comply with requirements of rules adopted under subsection (5) of this section. State agencies shall adhere to the following guidelines when using out-of-state travel:
(a) All out-of-state travel must be for official state business.
(b) Use of out-of-state travel must be related to the agencys scope of responsibilities.
(c) Each state agency is charged with the responsibility for determining the necessity and justification for and method of travel.
(d) Each state agency shall make every effort possible to minimize employee time spent on out-of-state travel.
(2) Notwithstanding any other law, including but not limited to ORS 243.650 (Definitions for ORS 243.650 to 243.782) to 243.782 (Representation by counsel authorized), it is the policy of the state that travel awards earned while conducting state business shall be used to reduce the costs of state travel expenses except as otherwise required as a prerequisite to receipt of federal or other granted funds. The use of travel awards obtained while conducting state business for personal travel constitutes personal gain from state employment and violates ORS 244.040 (Prohibited use of official position or office).
(3) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall work with commercial airlines to make travel awards available to the state rather than individual employees.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (5) of this section, each state agency shall manage all travel awards earned by personnel employed by them who travel for the state. Agencies shall establish procedures in accordance with Oregon Department of Administrative Services rules to monitor the earning and use of awards by individual employees.
(5) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall adopt by rule standards regulating out-of-state travel including but not limited to:
(a) Limiting the number of officers and employees who may attend the same meeting;
(b) Requiring state agencies to establish practices for travel that are consistent with the agencys resources;
(c) Requiring agencies to develop information sharing for reporting and other aspects that have benefits to more than one agency;
(d) Developing telecommunication resources to be used in lieu of travel;
(e) Requiring agency administrators or their designees, as designated in writing, to approve out-of-state travel; and
(f) Setting up procedures to audit agency use of travel and travel awards including appropriate sanctions for misuse.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) Official state business means activity conducted by any agency personnel that has been authorized by that agency in support of approved state programs.
(b) Out-of-state travel means all travel from a point of origin in Oregon to a point of destination in another state and return therefrom.
(c) Travel award means any object of value awarded by any business providing commercial transportation or accommodations to an individual or agency which can be used to reduce the cost of travel including, but not limited to, frequent flier miles, discounts or coupons. [Amended by 1993 c.750 §1]