2015 ORS § 284.706¹
Oregon Innovation Council
- • members
- • rules
- • compensation and expenses
(1) There is created the Oregon Innovation Council consisting of the following voting members:
(a) The Governor or the Governors designated representative, who shall be chairperson of the council.
(b) Seven members appointed by the Governor who are experienced entrepreneurs or investors or are engaged in the operations of Oregon traded sector industries or Oregon growth businesses.
(c) One member appointed by the Governor who is a representative of an Oregon-based, generally accredited, not-for-profit private institution of higher education.
(d) One member appointed by the Governor who is a representative of an Oregon-based, generally accredited public institution of higher education as defined in ORS 284.633 (Agreements for personnel and expenses).
(e) A member of the Oregon Growth Board, appointed by the board, who is experienced in making direct investments in new growth-based companies.
(f) A private sector member of the Oregon Talent Council.
(g) The Director or an executive officer of the Oregon Business Development Department.
(h) The executive director of the Higher Education Coordinating Commission.
(i) The State Treasurer.
(2)(a) The Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint two members to the council who are members of the House of Representatives.
(b) The President of the Senate shall appoint two members to the council who are members of the Senate.
(c) Members of the Legislative Assembly appointed to the council are nonvoting members and may act in an advisory capacity only.
(3) The presiding officer of the Oregon Business Development Commission shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the council.
(4) The term of office of each appointed voting member of the council is two years, but an appointed member serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority. Before the expiration of the term of an appointed voting member, the appointing authority shall appoint a successor whose term begins on July 1 next following. An appointed member is eligible for reappointment for one additional term. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the appointing authority shall make an appointment to become immediately effective for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(5) A majority of the voting members of the council constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(6) Official action by the council requires the approval of a majority of the voting members of the council.
(7) The council shall meet at least four times per fiscal year at a place, day and time determined by the chairperson. The council may also meet at other times and places specified by a call of the chairperson or by written request of a majority of the voting members of the council.
(8) The council may adopt rules necessary for the operation of the council.
(9) The council shall establish an audit and accountability committee that shall monitor performance of council contracts and benchmark Oregons performance against nationally accepted innovation metrics.
(10) The council may establish other committees and delegate to the committees duties as the council considers desirable.
(11) The Oregon Business Development Department shall provide staff support to the council.
(12) Members of the council who are members of the Legislative Assembly are entitled to compensation and expense reimbursement as provided in ORS 171.072 (Salary of members and presiding officers).
(13) Members of the council who are not members of the Legislative Assembly are entitled to compensation and expenses incurred by them in the performance of their official duties in the manner and amounts provided for in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). Claims for compensation and expenses of members of the council who are public officers shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the public agency that employs the member. Claims for compensation and expenses of members of the council who are not public officers shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the Oregon Business Development Department for that purpose.
(14) All agencies of state government, as defined in ORS 174.111 (State government defined), are directed to assist the council in the performance of its duties and, to the extent permitted by laws relating to confidentiality, to furnish such information and advice as the members of the council consider necessary to perform their duties. [2005 c.748 §2; 2007 c.804 §85; 2011 c.272 §13; 2011 c.610 §2; 2012 c.90 §§21,31; 2013 c.230 §§4,5; 2013 c.732 §7; 2013 c.747 §206; 2013 c.768 §177; 2015 c.196 §1; 2015 c.682 §9]