2015 ORS § 262.025¹
Procedure for joint operating agency formation
A joint operating agency shall be formed and come into existence by order of the Director of the State Department of Energy in accordance with the following procedures:
(1) The legislative body of each city and peoples utility district desiring to form and be a member of a joint operating agency shall adopt an ordinance declaring their intention and authorizing formation and membership. The ordinance shall be effective only if submitted to the electors of the city or peoples utility district voting on the ordinance at any general election or at a special election called for that purpose. The ordinance shall include:
(a) A statement of the purpose or purposes for which the joint operating agency is to be formed.
(b) A finding by the legislative body that the formation of a joint operating agency is necessary or desirable in order to plan for and provide an adequate supply of electric energy to meet the needs of the customers of publicly owned utilities in Oregon.
(c) A statement of the projected energy loads and resources relied upon by the legislative body to support such finding.
(d) A general description of the means by which the joint operating agency proposes to accomplish its purposes, including a description of any specific utility properties then identified as a proposed activity of the joint operating agency.
(e) A statement of the financial contribution, if any, to be made by the city or district to the joint operating agency at the time of organization as a condition of membership.
(2) Upon such approval of such an ordinance or ordinances, each such city and district shall file with the director an application to form and be a member of a joint operating agency. The application shall:
(a) State the proposed name of the operating agency, the proposed address of its principal business office, and the purpose or purposes for which it is to be formed;
(b) Contain a certified copy of the ordinance of each applicant city and district as approved by the electors; and
(c) State generally how the joint operating agency proposes to accomplish its purposes.
(3) The director shall cause notice of an application to be published forthwith in the bulletin referred to in ORS 183.360 (Publication of rules and orders). Such notice shall:
(a) Summarize fairly the contents of the application;
(b) Fix a date not less than 20 nor more than 30 days after the date of publication prior to which interested parties may submit in writing any data, views, or arguments with respect to the application; and
(c) Fix a date not less than 30 nor more than 60 days after the date of publication for the entry of an order approving or disapproving an application.
(4) In considering the application, the director shall give full and fair consideration to all data, views and arguments submitted on behalf of the applicants or any other interested person.
(5) On or before the date fixed in subsection (3)(c) of this section, the director shall enter an order establishing the joint operating agency in accordance with the application if the director finds (a) that the statements set forth in the application are substantially correct; (b) that formation of the proposed joint operating agency is necessary or desirable to plan for or provide an adequate supply of electric energy to meet the needs of the customers of publicly owned utilities in Oregon; and (c) that adequate provision has been or can be made for financing the activities of the joint operating agency. The joint operating agency shall be established as of the date of such order.
(6) If the director finds that the application is not in the required form or that additional data is required to support the application, the director shall enter an order so finding. Such an order shall not preclude the applicants from filing a revised application based upon the same approved ordinances.
(7) If the director does not enter an order as authorized under subsection (5) or (6) of this section within 60 days after the date of publication, the application shall be considered approved, and the joint operating agency shall be established as of such 60th day.
(8) A joint operating agency, organized as provided by this section shall have all of the powers and responsibilities contained in ORS 262.005 (Definitions for ORS 262.015 to 262.105) to 262.105 (Taxation of agency property in same manner as private power corporations).
(9) Any party who has joined in filing an application in accordance with this section, or who has filed timely objections to such application, and who feels aggrieved by any finding or order of the director shall have the right of judicial review pursuant to ORS 183.480 (Judicial review of agency orders). [1973 c.722 §3; 2003 c.186 §11]