2013 ORS § 222.120¹
Procedure without election by city electors
- • hearing
- • ordinance subject to referendum
(1) Except when expressly required to do so by the city charter, the legislative body of a city is not required to submit a proposal for annexation of territory to the electors of the city for their approval or rejection.
(2) When the legislative body of the city elects to dispense with submitting the question of the proposed annexation to the electors of the city, the legislative body of the city shall fix a day for a public hearing before the legislative body at which time the electors of the city may appear and be heard on the question of annexation.
(3) The city legislative body shall cause notice of the hearing to be published once each week for two successive weeks prior to the day of hearing, in a newspaper of general circulation in the city, and shall cause notices of the hearing to be posted in four public places in the city for a like period.
(4) After the hearing, the city legislative body may, by an ordinance containing a legal description of the territory in question:
(a) Declare that the territory is annexed to the city upon the condition that the majority of the votes cast in the territory is in favor of annexation;
(b) Declare that the territory is annexed to the city where electors or landowners in the contiguous territory consented in writing to such annexation, as provided in ORS 222.125 (Annexation by consent of all owners of land and majority of electors) or 222.170 (Effect of consent to annexation by territory), prior to the public hearing held under subsection (2) of this section; or
(c) Declare that the territory is annexed to the city where the Oregon Health Authority, prior to the public hearing held under subsection (1) of this section, has issued a finding that a danger to public health exists because of conditions within the territory as provided by ORS 222.840 (Short title) to 222.915 (Application of ORS 222.840 to 222.915).
(5) If the territory described in the ordinance issued under subsection (4) of this section is a part less than the entire area of a district named in ORS 222.510 (Annexation of entire district), the ordinance may also declare that the territory is withdrawn from the district on the effective date of the annexation or on any subsequent date specified in the ordinance. However, if the affected district is a district named in ORS 222.465 (Effective date of withdrawal from domestic water supply district, water control district or sanitary district), the effective date of the withdrawal of territory shall be determined as provided in ORS 222.465 (Effective date of withdrawal from domestic water supply district, water control district or sanitary district).
(6) The ordinance referred to in subsection (4) of this section is subject to referendum.
(7) For the purpose of this section, ORS 222.125 (Annexation by consent of all owners of land and majority of electors) and 222.170 (Effect of consent to annexation by territory), owner or landowner means the legal owner of record or, where there is a recorded land contract which is in force, the purchaser thereunder. If there is a multiple ownership in a parcel of land each consenting owner shall be counted as a fraction to the same extent as the interest of the owner in the land bears in relation to the interest of the other owners and the same fraction shall be applied to the parcels land mass and assessed value for purposes of the consent petition. If a corporation owns land in territory proposed to be annexed, the corporation shall be considered the individual owner of that land. [Amended by 1953 c.220 §2; 1955 c.51 §1; 1961 c.511 §1; 1967 c.624 §14; 1971 c.673 §2; 1985 c.702 §8; 1987 c.818 §11; 1993 c.18 §39; 2009 c.595 §180]