2007 ORS § 823.991¹
(1) Any motor carrier or railroad that fails to comply with an order or subpoena issued pursuant to ORS 823.025 (Maintaining and producing records) shall pay a civil penalty, for each day it so fails, of not less than $50 nor more than $500.
(2) Except where a penalty is otherwise provided by law, any motor carrier or railroad shall pay a civil penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $10,000 for each time that the motor carrier or railroad:
(a) Violates any statute regarding motor carriers or railroads, as appropriate, administered by the Department of Transportation;
(b) Does any act prohibited, or fails to perform any duty enjoined upon the motor carrier or railroad;
(c) Fails to obey any lawful requirement or order made by the department; or
(d) Fails to obey any judgment made by any court upon the application of the department.
(3) Violation of ORS 823.029 (Failure to furnish requested information) is punishable after issuance of a final order by the department, by a civil penalty of not less than $1,000 for each offense. A penalty of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 shall be recovered from the motor carrier or railroad for each such offense when such officer, agent or employee acted in obedience to the direction, instruction or request of the motor carrier or railroad, or any general officer thereof.
(4) Violation of ORS 823.029 (Failure to furnish requested information) is a Class A violation.
(5) Violation of ORS 823.051 (Interference with department equipment) is punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not more than $100 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both. Any motor carrier or railroad that knowingly permits the violation of ORS 823.051 (Interference with department equipment) shall forfeit, upon conviction, not more than $1,000 for each offense.
(6) In construing and enforcing this section, the act, omission or failure of any officer, agent or other person acting for or employed by any motor carrier or railroad shall in every case be deemed to be the act, omission or failure of such motor carrier or railroad. With respect to any violation of any statute administered by the department regarding motor carriers or railroads, any penalty provision applying to such a violation by a motor carrier or railroad shall apply to such a violation by any other person.
(7) Except as provided in ORS 824.019 (Grade Crossing Safety Improvement Fund) and 825.326 (Motor Carrier Account), and except when provided by law that a penalty, fine, forfeiture or other sum be paid to the aggrieved party, all penalties, fines or forfeitures collected from persons subject to the regulatory authority of the department under ORS chapters 823, 824, 825 and 826 shall be paid into the General Fund and credited to the Motor Carrier Account if collected from a motor carrier and to the Railroad Fund created under ORS 824.014 (Railroad Fund) (1) if collected from a railroad.
(8) Violation of ORS 823.105 (Prohibitions) is punishable, after issuance of a final order by the department, by a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 for each offense.
(9) Violation of ORS 823.105 (Prohibitions) is a violation punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for each offense.
(10) Civil penalties under this section shall be imposed in the manner provided by ORS 183.745 (Civil penalty procedures). [Subsections (1) to (6) of 1995 Edition enacted as 1995 c.733 §38; subsection (7) of 1995 Edition formerly 771.990 [bad link]; 1997 c.249 §243; 1997 c.275 §11; 1999 c.1051 §230; 2001 c.909 §5; 2003 c.576 §567; 2003 c.754 §11]