2007 ORS § 476.680¹
Governor’s Fire Service Policy Council
- • membership
- • terms
- • duties
(1) There is created the Governor’s Fire Service Policy Council. The council shall include the following nonvoting ex officio members:
(a) The Superintendent of State Police, or a designee thereof experienced in the oversight of Department of State Police activities relating to the office of the State Fire Marshal; and
(b) The Director of the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training, or a designee thereof.
(2) The State Fire Marshal shall serve as executive director of the council, but is not a member. The council shall meet at least quarterly. The council shall select a chairperson and vice chairperson at the first council meeting of each odd-numbered year. The council may elect additional officers as the council determines to be reasonable and necessary.
(3) In addition to the ex officio members identified in subsection (1) of this section, the Governor may designate a representative of the Governor to serve as a nonvoting member. The Governor may also appoint not more than nine members to serve on the council for three-year terms. Initial terms of the appointed members may be adjusted to promote council stability. An appointed member may not serve more than two consecutive terms. A member appointed by the Governor must be a representative of one of the following:
(a) The Oregon Fire Chiefs’ Association or a successor or other organization representing fire chiefs.
(b) The Oregon Fire District Directors’ Association or a successor or other organization representing fire district directors.
(c) The Oregon Fire Marshals Association or a successor or other organization representing fire marshals.
(d) Property and casualty insurance providers.
(e) Employees of the office of the State Fire Marshal.
(f) The Oregon State Fire Fighters Council or a successor or other organization representing professional firefighters.
(g) The Oregon Volunteer Fire Fighters’ Association or a successor or other organization representing volunteer firefighters.
(h) The League of Oregon Cities or a successor or other organization representing municipalities.
(i) The general public.
(4) Notwithstanding the term of office specified in subsection (3) of this section, the initial term of a member appointed by the Governor may be adjusted to limit the number of member terms expiring in the same year.
(5) To the extent funding is available from moneys appropriated to the office of the State Fire Marshal, a member of the council is entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions).
(6) The council shall advise the Governor and the Superintendent of State Police on fire policy issues and serve in an advisory capacity to the State Fire Marshal on strategies for the implementation of fire and life safety issues. The council may initiate advice to the State Fire Marshal, the Superintendent of State Police and the Governor on any matter related to the mission of the council. The council may not participate in the discussion of traditional labor relations issues.
(7) The office of the State Fire Marshal shall provide staff services to the council. All agencies, departments and officers of this state are directed to assist the council in the performance of its functions and to furnish information and advice as the council considers necessary. [2001 c.647 §1]
Note: 476.680 (Governor's Fire Service Policy Council) and 476.685 (Biennial reports) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 476 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.