2011 ORS § 196.870¹
- • restraining order
- • injunction
- • public compensation
(1) In addition to any enforcement action taken under ORS 196.860 (Enforcement powers of director), civil proceedings to abate alleged public nuisances under ORS 196.855 (Noncomplying removal of material or filling as public nuisance) may be instituted at law or in equity, in the name of the State of Oregon, upon relation of the Director of the Department of State Lands or by any person in the persons name.
(2) Before beginning any action under subsection (1) of this section, a person other than the director shall provide 60 days notice to the director of the intended action. A person other than the director may not begin an action under subsection (1) of this section if the director has commenced and is diligently prosecuting civil, criminal or administrative proceedings in the same matter.
(3) The director may institute an action in the name of the State of Oregon for a temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction if a threatened or existing nuisance under ORS 196.855 (Noncomplying removal of material or filling as public nuisance) creates an emergency that requires immediate action to protect the public health, safety or welfare. The director shall not be required to furnish a bond in such proceeding.
(4) The State Land Board, the Director of the Department of State Lands and the employees or duly authorized representatives of the Department of State Lands shall not be liable for any damages a defendant may sustain as a result of an injunction, restraining order or abatement order issued under this section.
(5) A case filed under this section shall be given preference on the docket over all other civil cases except those given an equal preference by statute.
(6) In any action brought under this section, the plaintiff may seek and the court may award a sum of money sufficient to compensate the public for any destruction or infringement of any public right of navigation, fishery or recreation resulting from an existing public nuisance under ORS 196.855 (Noncomplying removal of material or filling as public nuisance). Any money received by the plaintiff under this subsection shall be deposited in the Common School Fund. [Formerly 541.660 and then 196.735]