2011 ORS § 196.615¹
Program for mitigation banks
- • program standards and criteria
- • rules
(1) In accordance with the provisions of ORS 196.600 (Definitions for ORS 196.600 to 196.655) to 196.655 (Report on Oregon Removal-Fill Mitigation Fund), upon the approval of the State Land Board, the Director of the Department of State Lands shall initiate and implement a program for mitigation banks. The director shall encourage the development of and the expeditious approval of mitigation banks and other types of compensatory mitigation.
(2) Subject to the approval of the State Land Board, the Department of State Lands shall adopt, by rule, standards and criteria for the site selection process, operation and evaluation of mitigation banks. Criteria to be considered shall include but need not be limited to:
(a) Historical trends relating to the waters of this state, including the estimated rate of current and future losses of the respective types of waters of this state.
(b) The contributions of the waters of this state to:
(A) Wildlife, migratory birds and resident species;
(B) Commercial and sport fisheries;
(C) Surface and ground water quality and quantity, and flood moderation;
(D) Outdoor recreation including enhancement of scenic waterways; and
(E) Scientific and research values.
(c) Regional economic needs.
(3) The rules adopted by the department under this section must also include:
(a) Guidelines for the use of mitigation banks to compensate for adverse effects of project development or to resolve violations of ORS 196.800 (Definitions for ORS 196.600 to 196.905) to 196.905 (Applicability) related to waters of this state; and
(b) Guidelines for allowing a permittee or third party to create a mitigation bank or to conduct compensatory mitigation in order to create, restore, enhance or preserve water resources of this state.
(4) For each mitigation bank, the department shall establish a well-defined plan, including preliminary objectives, inventory of resource values and an evaluation and monitoring program. [Formerly 541.560; 1991 c.67 §48; 2003 c.738 §6; 2009 c.343 §4]