2015 ORS § 196.451¹
Technical advisory committee
- • duties
- • members
- • vacancies
- • advisory committees
- • rules
(1) The Ocean Policy Advisory Council shall establish a permanent scientific and technical advisory committee chaired by the director of the Sea Grant College program or other similarly qualified member of the council. The committee shall:
(a) Make recommendations to the council relating to the performance of the councils functions; and
(b) Make recommendations, subject to the availability of funds and time, to state agencies on matters related to this states ocean or nearshore resources.
(2) The committee shall consist of:
(a) Members appointed by the council who are serving on May 16, 2013.
(b) Such other persons nominated by the committee and appointed by the council according to the procedures described in subsections (3) and (4) of this section.
(3) If there is a vacancy on the committee or if the committee determines that a new scientific or technical discipline must be represented on the committee in order for the committee to perform its research duties, the committee shall do all of the following:
(a) Solicit the names of candidates for committee membership from the public.
(b) Evaluate the expertise of the candidates. To be eligible to serve on the committee a candidate must possess a scientific and technical background in a discipline relevant to the duties specified in ORS 196.443 (Duties of council) that is sufficient for the individual to fulfill the duties of a member of the committee as specified in subsection (1) of this section and to advise regarding marine reserves as provided for in ORS 196.545 (Work plan).
(c) Evaluate the candidates availability to serve on the committee and any potential or actual conflict of interest.
(d) Nominate one or more candidates for committee membership who fulfill the requirements of this subsection.
(e) Submit a list of nominees to the council for consideration.
(4) Upon receipt of a list of nominees prepared by the committee under subsection (3) of this section, the council may appoint one or more new committee members selected from the list of nominees. If the council does not select one or more new committee members from the list of nominees, the committee shall prepare a new list in the same manner provided for in subsection (3) of this section until such time as the council appoints one or more new members to the committee.
(5) The council shall adopt rules for the administration of subsection (4) of this section.
(6) The council may establish advisory committees in addition to the committee provided for in subsections (1) to (5) of this section. Members of any advisory committee established under this section are not entitled to compensation, but in the discretion of the council may be reimbursed from funds available to council for actual and necessary travel and other expenses incurred by them in the performance of their official duties, subject to ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). [1991 c.501 §12; 2013 c.182 §1]
Note: 196.451 (Technical advisory committee) and 196.453 (Project review panels) were added to and made a part of 196.405 (Definitions for ORS 196.405 to 196.515) to 196.515 (Short title) by legislative action but were not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
Note: Section 4, chapter 27, Oregon Laws 2012, provides:
Sec. 4. Technical advisory committee report. (1) The scientific and technical advisory committee of the Ocean Policy Advisory Council established under ORS 196.451 (Technical advisory committee) shall submit a draft report to the interim committees on environment and natural resources of the Legislative Assembly no later than October 1, 2022, and a final report to the Legislative Assembly in the manner provided by ORS 192.245 (Form of report to legislature) no later than March 1, 2023, regarding the establishment, study, monitoring, evaluation and enforcement of the pilot marine reserves, marine reserves, marine protected areas and seabird protection area described in ORS 196.540 (Marine reserves).
(2) The reports described in subsection (1) of this section shall:
(a) Be researched and prepared, within existing resources and without additional appropriation, by a public university listed in ORS 352.002 (Public universities) chosen by the scientific and technical advisory committee; and
(A) An assessment of social, economic and environmental factors related to the reserves and protected areas;
(B) Recommendations for administrative actions and legislative proposals related to the reserves and protected areas; and
(C) Any other scientifically based information related to the reserves and protected areas that the public university described in this subsection deems relevant or material. [2012 c.27 §4]